has anyone bought a breathalizer?

alan1572

Established Member
Reaction score
i am letting my soon to be 15 yearold daughter have a party at my house, she will be inviteing boys and girls and i have assured the parents i will keep an eye on them and i hope that if they know i have one then they will not be daft.
Yeah i know it's an invasion of privacy and all that but they are kids in my care and that's that, so has anyone bought one or can anyone recomend one of the many on ebay?
cheer's

i am letting my soon to be 15 yearold daughter have a party at my house, she will be inviteing boys and girls and i have assured the parents i will keep an eye on them and i hope that if they know i have one then they will not be daft.
Yeah i know it's an invasion of privacy and all that but they are kids in my care and that's that, so has anyone bought one or can anyone recomend one of the many on ebay?
cheer's

Sorry mate, but that is just weird:eek:

Did anyone do the same when you were 15?

I'm sorry but your daughter will get so much mick taken out of her if you walk around with a breathalyzer that I am sure she'll regret ever having had a party.

Stroll on.....why dont you hire one of those metal detecting arches as well?

By the way what will you do if they 'test positive'? or 'fail to give a sample'?

Arrest 'em?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
:eek: ****ing hell mate, a bit extreme! A little trust goes a long way you know!

a bit of a drink never hurt anyone! even at 15!
i dont mean totally drunk and off their faces but if they are all a bit merry or a little drunk (not puking stage drunk) im sure it will be fine if its in the house, all of my parties were and no one ever got hurt :)

Why?

Is it so you, as a parent don't look bad, or that they may be drinking under the age of 18? (which, is legal as drinking in the home is all well and good...)

Tell them no drinking. If you catch 'em - sling 'em out.

:rotfl:

:rotfl:

embarrassingdad.jpg

OP: Ignore the way some of these replies are put, but listen to the message, the breathaliser isn't a practical method, and it's hardly hygienic, just make sure the rules are simple, caught drinking - you go, smell drink on you - you go.

I think your daughter would appreciate that a bit more than going OTT on the matter, and it would make both yours and her life easier because of it.

I can understand you wanting to fully make sure that the wishes of other parents are respected, but the best you can do is to say, i'll make sure they dont drink at the party, when they're not here, there's not much I can do, i'll be not letting anyone in who has drink or smells of drink and will be asked to leave, you could even get phone numbers of the parents and call them if you really felt necessary, but generally i'd just ask them to leave so you don't have the problems to deal with.

Just say no alcohol,i wouldn't have the party ,but thats me ,i'd hire a room let them ruin that instead .Next thing you know it'll be on bebo and you'll have 100's of kids there dismantling your house .

Teenagers and drink :nono::nono:.

OP: Ignore the way some of these replies are put, but listen to the message, the breathaliser isn't a practical method, and it's hardly hygienic, just make sure the rules are simple, caught drinking - you go, smell drink on you - you go.

I think your daughter would appreciate that a bit more than going OTT on the matter, and it would make both yours and her life easier because of it.

I can understand you wanting to fully make sure that the wishes of other parents are respected, but the best you can do is to say, i'll make sure they dont drink at the party, when they're not here, there's not much I can do, i'll be not letting anyone in who has drink or smells of drink and will be asked to leave, you could even get phone numbers of the parents and call them if you really felt necessary, but generally i'd just ask them to leave so you don't have the problems to deal with.

there was only 1 parent who didn't agree out of 16 and the child isn't invited, it's more of a threat that i will use it, i'm thinking of my home, the neighbours and the fact that if my daughter came home ****** from a 15y old party i would be round to the house for a chat, i will never ( and wouldn't want to) stop them having a drink as it's all part of growing up, the fact is that a teenage party today, even a 15th is as much trouble as a 18th 5 year's ago thanks to alco pops, most of the replies are painting me with a dim view, but ****** boys and girls just won't happen.
As for saying no booze...it will never happen, it's just a case of how much

have you seen the price of those things?
any way, the doormen will frisk.

By the way what will you do if they 'test positive'? or 'fail to give a sample'?

Arrest 'em?:rolleyes:

then they'll be asked to give a blood sample

there was only 1 parent who didn't agree out of 16 and the child isn't invited, it's more of a threat that i will use it, i'm thinking of my home, the neighbours and the fact that if my daughter came home ****** from a 15y old party i would be round to the house for a chat, i will never ( and wouldn't want to) stop them having a drink as it's all part of growing up, the fact is that a teenage party today, even a 15th is as much trouble as a 18th 5 year's ago thanks to alco pops, most of the replies are painting me with a dim view, but ****** boys and girls just won't happen.
As for saying no booze...it will never happen, it's just a case of how much

I personally wouldnt use the threat of a breathalyzer. You could achieve the same effect just by dealing with problems as they happen, if someone gets that blind drunk its normally the case that they will end up getting taken home as they are just unable to do anything else. If anyone gets that drunk send them home, if they dont then dont. Its something to worry about as it happens i think, it will be really obvious if anyone is going to be a problem as they turn up i think, you are worrying a bit much i think :).

Personally, I'd have to go along with the consensus of opinion - that's just plain odd.

Not wishing to steal the thread but I was thinking of buying one of those ebay breathalyzers a while back - partly for fun and partly to see if I was ok in the morning after a few beers the night before. Just wondered if anyone else'd bought one and if they were any good.

so will you be providing the condom's too :rotfl:

i would never use a breathalyzer on kid's that were not mine , plus what you going to do with it? the kid's willmock you for the rest of your daughter's and your life lol.

either that or they'll all gang up on you and leave you in a puddle of blood outside your own house :rotfl:

so will you be providing the condom's too :rotfl:
The kid's willmock you for the rest of your daughter's and your life lol.

Either that or they'll all gang up on you and leave you in a puddle of blood outside your own house :rotfl:

Whats so funny about that ,i've spoke to the missus about this and she asked why alcohol was allowed to be drunk by minors .

Whats so funny about that ,i've spoke to the missus about this and she asked why alcohol was allowed to be drunk by minors .

What's funny is the fact if they want to have a knee's up they will do it regardless if there is a breathalizer on the premises, be wary OP your daughter may grow to resent your actions :thumbsdow

or instead you could buy the drinks in. extract the goodness for yourself and fill it with a none alcoholic drink.

or you could just let them have a good time and keep an eye on their intake. then you will be the cool dad and she will love you forever lol

You are going about this all wrong...

You need to be welcoming them in, dutiful host, running to and fro from the kitchen but generally keeping a low profile...

Then when they are comfortable help yourself to the sips of "orange juice" bottled drinks they are enjoying ;)

:devil:'s advocate

It might look like I am joking, but on a serious note, breathalising kids on the door or halfway through the evening is a sure fire way to
a) Cause serious arguments and break down the trust your daughter has in you, even if you are proven right
b) Make your daughter a no-go for invites to parties... well unless they are all forgiving, but your daughter will need to put up with ****-taking for as long as she shares the same circle of friends

Telling it like it is...

in other words join in fun OP , bet it's the kid's that have keep you on your feet :rotfl: :smashin:, always have an exclusion room for when your head is done in so you can compose yourself , dont let the barstewards grind you down :nono:

Can I just ask what your daughter did to deserve this TOTAL lack of trust?

If you don't lighten up you'll find she'll rebel and do ten times worse when you're not around. Give her respect and let her do the right thing and she'll respect you for it and do it when you're not around with your breathalise, pregnancy test, urine test or whatever else you have lined up for her and her friends.

:lesson:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom