Has anyone been out and bought the new SVS MTS package.

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Reaction score
Hoping to get this some time this summer, just wandering if anyone has these yet, would love a bit of a review:smashin:

Cheers

When I took a trip down to AV Sales a couple of weeks back there demo set had just been sold so did not get a chance to listen to them :( there is definitely people out there with them though !

well the bad news is that they dont have any demo ones anymore and apparently wont ship without a sales guarantee, which seems like a catch 22 situation to me. I just hope those buyers are hanging around here.:rolleyes:

In so far as I am aware, there's only one bloke with them in Britain and he bought the demo set. Badger0-0 was on the way to organising a group demo, when the these were sold, thus no one else has yet heard them.

I also believe AV Sales said they weren't going to import another set (due to being unable to dedicate a demo room for them), unless someone pitched up who was "95%" certain of buying them. How you get to 95% certainty without actually being able to hear them is anybodies guess.

It would be nice if AV Sales would clarify this point, until which point, I must clarify that this is only what I believe to be the case - it was not from the horses mouth, so to speak.

Russell

In so far as I am aware, there's only one bloke with them in Britain and he bought the demo set. Badger0-0 was on the way to organising a group demo, when the these were sold, thus no one else has yet heard them.

I also believe AV Sales said they weren't going to import another set (due to being unable to dedicate a demo room for them), unless someone pitched up who was "95%" certain of buying them. How you get to 95% certainty without actually being able to hear them is anybodies guess.

It would be nice if AV Sales would clarify this point, until which point, I must clarify that this is only what I believe to be the case - it was not from the horses mouth, so to speak.

Russell

Afternoon

For those that are interested in hearing these new speakers from SVS we are getting another set of demo ones in from the states. Our original set did not last very long as a customer who heard them wanted a set quite quickly.

Hope that clarifies the situation and maybe we can organise another forum day once they arrive - any takers?

Regards

Alastair:hiya:

I'd be interested in hearing these. Any idea how these compare with M&K S150/SS150?

Afternoon

For those that are interested in hearing these new speakers from SVS we are getting another set of demo ones in from the states. Our original set did not last very long as a customer who heard them wanted a set quite quickly.

Hope that clarifies the situation and maybe we can organise another forum day once they arrive - any takers?

Regards

Thanks Alastair for clearing up all the speculation, I'm sure they sound stunning and will certainly be up for another forum day out to hear them, you're hospitality is second to none :thumbsup:

That would be good. May hold of getting the M&K's until these are available to demo. Been hearing good things about these and if they're anything like their subwoofers then it should be interesting.

Russell

Yep, that's exactly what Richard told me :smashin:

I read that to be 'haven't sold'.......

You old cynic, you ;)

The words Richard used to me were "we demoed the speakers to a chap and he liked them that much, he demanded to take them, there and then".

To be fair though, I don't know how many had heard them beforehand :)

Afternoon

Regards

Excellent news :)

Alistair, count me in and I know KBFern wants to hear them too, as does Moonfly, the OP.

I'm dying to hear them but work is so restricting that getting down will be difficult. Heres hoping the demo day works out for me, otherwise ill have to set my own date up. Count me in though:smashin::thumbsup::D:clap:

On general principle the SVS speakers seem to be very well liked here. Personally, I think I could get more for similar money. You can get a complete Monitor Audio BR2 or BR5 5.1AV system for a similar £1,000, or even a Wharfedale 9.6 5.1AV system for £1,000. For less than £1,500 you can get a complete Acoustic Energy Aelite-3 5.1 system.

Though as I now re-ponder the question, perhaps I'm thinking of the wrong system.

this is the one I'm thinking of and the one that gets rave reviews, though I think it is overprice (never having heard it myself).

http://www.av-sales.co.uk/Speakers-...nd-Packages-180-22/SVS-SBS-01-SB12-180-22.htm

Though, you are probably thinking of one of these, though I'm not sure which one -

SVS MTS-01 Floor Speakers (pair) at £1,155.00
http://www.av-sales.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=SVS-2.0-MTS

SVS MTS,MBS,MCS 5.1 Speaker Package (no Sub) @ £1,887.00
http://www.av-sales.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=SVS-5.0-MTS-MBS-MCS

Note an SVS Sub SB12-Plus is going to run £450 to just under £500.
http://www.av-sales.co.uk/Speakers-and-Home-Theatre-22/Subwoofers-183/SVS-SB12-PLUS-BT-183-.htm

Bringing the total to 1,887 + 460 = £2,347

While I'm sure they sound good, I look at the price and ask myself, what else can I get for that much money. It turns out, quite a lot.

Again, not having actually heard any SVS speakers, I have trouble thinking of paying that much money for that little speaker. But those who have the money, and have purchased SVS SBS systems claim they are absolute worth more than the money.

If you search the forum, you should find many threads on SVS.

Steve/bluewizard

Steve,

Sorry mate, but if you think the first example is overpriced, you're sadly mistaken. This is quality kit. The sub is the difference ;)
Given the way prices have just shot up, I can see what you mean, but that's the case with anything in the UK atm.

But seeing as you think subs have no place anywhere, I'd really reserve judgement, especially if you haven't heard them mate ;)

Off on a side note: While I prefer a straight up stereo system, I've never said Subs have no place. I've acknowledged, in the past, many a specific place that Sub do have.

If you are into movies and special effects - Subs definitely have a place.

If you are into deep window-rattling neighbor-annoying bass - Subs definitely have a place. Though I concede before some one points it out, that Subs don't have to rattle the windows, but if by chance you do want to rattle the windows, a Sub will definitely do it.

If you are on a budget and have limited room - small fronts with a good Sub definitely have a place.

I'm well aware that what genuinely 'has a place' can be very different from what I prefer.

As to the SVS, I said 'NEVER HAVING HEARD THEM', the price seemed excessive, and I keep thinking about what else I can buy for the same money. I also acknowledge that those who have bought and those who have heard the SVS speakers think that they are worth more than the money they paid. I would say RAVE reviews was a slight understatement.

I never said SVS wasn't good, I just said, I would have trouble paying so much for, apparently, so little; 'apparently' being the operative word.

I thought I gave a pretty balanced view on them. I made sure that my opinion was clearly just that, my opinion. I also pointed out that those here who do have SVS speakers are more than satisfied with them.

I have even on occasion recommended the SVS over similarly price 'egg'/'pod' speakers. If I personally had a choice between the best rated 'egg' palm-of-your-hand speaker system and the standard SVS SBS system for roughly £1,000, well, it's just no contest, SVS every time, even having never heard them.

But if it is between an SVS/SBS 5.1 and anything for £1,000, then it's a pair of serious floor standers every time.

I realize you were only half serious in your comments, but I still couldn't let it go unchallenged.

Peace out.

Steve/bluewizard

Peace out.

:smashin:

But you aren't going to get a pair of speakers to do surround, no matter how good they are.
And I don't care how good your speakers are, even if you paid £10,000 for them, I'd still put my sub up against your bass and win, IMO.

Alll speakers have a resonant frequency and trying to squeeze it all in to one box is just impossible, as you should well know.

The original question was about a package, remember :)
IE surround

If you are into deep window-rattling neighbor-annoying bass

So speakers shouldn't be able to reproduce that? :confused:

Please stop this sort of comment, because it is to anyone who knows better, patently untrue that deep bass causes noise.

It's all in the hands of the person who possesses it :rotfl:

Bringing the total to 1,887 + 460 = £2,347

While I'm sure they sound good, I look at the price and ask myself, what else can I get for that much money. It turns out, quite a lot.

Again, not having actually heard any SVS speakers, I have trouble thinking of paying that much money for that little speaker.
£2,000 plus is a lot of money for any speaker package, regardless of how big or small a speaker package is. Anyone considering spending this sort of money owes it to themselves to hear more than a couple of packages to ensure they're getting value for money, and something which suits their ear/decor, or both. I've heard many comments about small speaker packages for big money, the Miller & Kresiel Xenon series for one. Doesn't look much for the money, but once they hear what it's capable of, we usually have to pick their jaws up off the floor and clean up the dribble.

The hi-fi and AV world is full of products that are overlooked because they just don't look as though they're worth the money. Those that do their research are the ones who benefit from these ignored gems.

I can kind of see Blue wizards point about floor standers, thats one of the reasons why I didnt go for the SB-01 set. As I have said before though, the quality of that package forced me to up my budget as I couldnt find anything within the SB-01 price range to beat or even match them.

I'm hoping that a similar characteristic is inherant in the MTS speaker and if this turns out to be true then I have no doubt that for the money, you wont be able to beat the sound. This is why I'm making such a pain of myself about these on here (perhaps I can take credit for the guys in Kent getting another demo pair in eh?) and want to hear them, especially as Ive pretty much decided on a PB13U and I'm waiting till Ive demoed these speakers before ordering, might as well do it all on one day.

I've done a bit of looking around and it seems that people in america are saying these speakers are VERY neutral. The supposed idea SVS has with them is that they want them to be very acurate and high performers, so I would expect the bass to be not quite as deep as most rivals (meaning IMO, marrying them with the PB13U will be a good match, and possible even necessary) and the high end to be a lot smoother than something like the Monitor Audios I'm using. One reason I wont buy without a demo is that I like the clarity the MA metal tweeter gives and I need to see if this scanspeak tweeter SVS are bangin on about is what I want to hear. I would expect thought that timing (as the mags like to call it) should be spot on and they will keep up with the most demanding soundtracks very well.

Here's hoping a demo comes my way soon:smashin:

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom