1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone actually tried running prog PAL on the EA100?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tahustvedt, Feb 11, 2002.

1. tahustvedt

tahustvedt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see a lot of posts where people claim that the Panny PT-EA100 won't accept progressiv PAL (625p/575p). Has anyone actually tried this? Just because the manual doesn't mention it doesn't mean it's not possible. :)

My Denon DVD-2800 has been modified to output progressive PAL.

I posted this thread on avsforum and one guy claims he is running progressive PAL on the projector:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115944

2. Hoglet

Hoglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I re-read Nevil T's post and I think you may be on to something.

I've tried very hard to get the Panny to accept an RGB video signal with the Progressive PAL (625p) timings generated from a PC. It refuses to recognise this as anything other than SVGA.

Based on Nevil T's input and my experience, I suspect the Panny does indeed support Progressive PAL, but only if fed in via the component inputs.

If you look carefully at the list of compatible signals in the manual, you'll see that the Progressive NTSC (525p) signal is only documented as being supported in YPbPr (component) format. Again, I've tried generating an RGB video signal with this format, and it is not correctly recognised as 525p.

Unfortunately, I have no way of generating a Progressive PAL signal in component format. If someone has a DVD player with progressive PAL component outputs, it's definitely worth giving it a shot.

--- Dave

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    any chance of getting two of you together for a test?

Some have progressive PAL players but don't want to buy an AE100 in case it isn't supported, and others have the pj but don't want to shell out on a progressive PAL player for the same reason.

If someone could do a home visit to the other, we could sort it out and maybe sell a few more of these things. I'd certainly be interested in progressive PAL rather than HTPC.

4. Hoglet

Hoglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    T think tahustvedt is based in Norway, so getting together is probably out of the question.

I'll try to sort something out though. I know another AVForum member who lives in Bristol and who (I think) owns a Denon 2800 that has the updated firmware needed for Progressive PAL. I'll drop him an email today and see if he is interested in helping.

--- Dave

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    i was thinking generally rather than you two specifically, although my reply could come across as suggesting that :)

6. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Hoglet,
    I just responded to your email. Unfortunately, I don't own a PAL progressive player... yet. I've ordered the Nintaus N9769 from HiViZone. Unfortunatly it wont be arriving until the end of Feb.
    If this hasn't been resolved by then, I'll pop round and we can give it a go.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Denon DVD-2800 arrived today (thank you, Practical Hi-Fi) and I flashed the firmware, connected up the component lead, and fired up a PAL DVD.

After some disturbing flashes (heart stopped when nothing but a big green band appeared), the disc started playing normally, and WOW. You owe it to your PT-AE100E to run everything through this projector as progressive component.

The picture quality is frankly light years ahead of the S-Video input - it's like someone cleaned the lens, removing a layer of video noise, grain and unpleasant pixellation. The picture seemed fine with S-Video before I tried component.. now I'll never, ever go back.

Caveat: I have no way of knowing if I actually saw PAL Prog, though - there's no indication from the projector that it's syncing to a progressive input. The DVD player says it's progressive PAL, and I get the best picture I've ever seen, which is good enough for me.

8. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Did you upgrade to firmware rev 2248 on the Denon?

Is there no way of showing what the input signal is recognised as on the EA100?
    This is indicated in the main menu on the Sony 11HT.

9. tahustvedt

tahustvedt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's great, Nikki Sixx! If the DVD-player was outputting PAL prog and the projector synched to the signal then it's working.

I'm really starting to like this little PJ now, despite it's low resolution. I visited a local dealer today and asked if it was possible to demo one in the store and they replied that they wouldn't order one unless I wanted to buy it. I really want one! :)

10. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    wow its great reading all the replies about this pj. Im a bit useless when it comes to input as its my first pj so knowledge is lacking.

Where would I get a dennon 2800 and whats the cheapest price. Or would that new chinease player "Natsuan" i think be as good. Also what do you mean when you say flash the firmware, can anyone do this and what does it involve. Would the dennon be a better picture then with component leads then my present tosh and its s video leads.

Looks like a progressive player is required fast but which one.

11. tahustvedt

tahustvedt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Flashing the firmware means upgrading/changing the software (firmware) that controls the functions of the player. On the Denon DVD-2800 this is done by inserting a CD-R with the new firmware and the Denon does the upgrade process automatically. I have changed the formware to enable progressive PAL and to make the player multi-region. I have not had the opportunity to test the progressive PAL function yet. I bought this player earlier last year because I knew I would buy a projector. :)

The Denon DVD-2800 with component leads should look better than your Tosh with S-video. :)

12. Hoglet

Hoglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Nikki,

If you go into the PICTURE menu on the projector, the current SIGNAL MODE is displayed near the bottom. If it really is recognising progressive PAL I would expect it to report something like "625p".

--- Dave