1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone actually seen HDTV ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by mike7, Jan 10, 2005.

1. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    There is a lot of discussion about HDTV in this forum, but I wonder how many have actually seen it? I have seen two demonstations. One was at a local tv dealer show when a 27" Toshiba was being fed with a short programme (filmed in a Japanese garden) which was stored on a hard disk. No idea what the standard was. In spite of the fact that it was not using a dvi input' as I was told the set was not capable of it, the picture quality was very impressive.

Today I have seen a test transmission from the Euro1080 station which broadcasts from Belgium via an Astra satellite (check out their website for details). The picture was being shown on a big (Plasma) Pioneer. It was very impressive. Probably better on an LCD !. This station transmits regular programs if you have the right gear which includes a HD set top box. Not sure what the cost is. They transmit 1080i at 50hz.

2. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I saw HDTV in 1988! taken a time to finally get here hasn't it!

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    1080tv or HD1 as it is called has been around for months... have seen it running on it running on alot of stuff

4. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes seen lots thanks. :)

its entirely why I bought the set I did. So I could watch 1080 stuff at 1080

5. brakepad

brakepad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Comet & John Lewis have HDTV demonstrations running on a Sagem DLP RP which are very impressive & worth having a look at. It's just a shame they don't have the same quality source material running on everything in the shop as that would really help for comparison purposes.

Most of the material being shown is available to download from the Microsoft website if you have the capability of connecting your PC to your TV at a decent resolution.

6. G1OSE

G1OSE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    John lewis where i work have had it running on a 50" sagem dlp rp tv and now the loewe 37 and its stunning cant tell you how clear!

7. Bobbler

Bobbler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Seen it absolutely everywhere in the states back in November. Nearly every TV has a big HDTV ready sticker on it and there was plenty of shows on cable in HD too.

8. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,275
    Only seen it once, Sat feed (some concert footage showing) on a Pioneer 43" Plasma.

Sooooooooooo good.

After that I watched a DVD (Phantom Menace via HDMI) on said screen and that was very mediocre in comparison...shows the limitations of DVD on a large screen....

The thought of watching all my favourite films in HD in the next few years is indeed a very happy one :)

9. kiran_mk2

kiran_mk2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I saw some in an electrical store in the US last summer - it was a basketball game and it looked increadibly lifelike wth background details (like the crowd) being sharp, unlike the soft blur they are on SD. Then I saw the new 32" Sony at Allders running a demo of flowing liquid that looked amazing as well.

10. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    my first HD viewage was in comet and the the dlp they had looked stunning. bottom line is it made think twice about what i was going to buy

11. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I watch HDTV Films (1080i) on a JVC Digital VHS Player through my Panny Projector. Theres about a 100 films so far & you can import them for about £17-19 via DVD Boxoffice.com (free postage too). I got my player new from ebay for £300 (Very Lucky). They can also be purchased in the UK from CRT Projectors & NG03 (easily found via Google).

Picture & sound is amazing, cant wait for HD-DVD & Sky !

:thumbsup:

12. dickie

dickie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I saw a HDTV demo from sony on a +/-160 cm plasma. It was so amazing it looked sharper then reality. I watched it very long as it was so beautiful..

All others lcd and plasma demo's in the same shop were not looking good anymore.

13. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Seen it in the USA loads of times (as I get over there quite often on business).
    Back here in UK I watch it on a 21-inch CRT monitor using either my Broadlogic or Twinhan PCI tuner cards + PC s/ware to decode it ; this does require a fairly fast PC (mine is a 3 GHz Northwood) and reasonable graphics card.
    It still looks amazing on a 21-inch Hitachi monitor.
    Lots more about this subject in the dedicated HDTV section of these forums

Chris Muriel, Manchester

14. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a few HD movies, and a few HDTV shows that I watch on my Sharp Aquos.

15. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i can get HDTV on astra and hotbird satellites through my pc and it aint just a little improvement, its HUGE!!!

and that is on a 17" TFT display with a 1080i source downscaled to 720p...

beleive me (those who havent seen) it looks tasty...

16. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Note that one of the business partners of Euro1080 is Pioneer. Not surprising that you saw Euro1080 on a Pioneer plasma. They are one of the few European companies making a plasma capable of 1080i/50 display.

17. boab_is

boab_is

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have seen many times (through my line of work) Euro1080 through a pioneer 50" Plasma TV. Like looking through an image-enhancing window.

Also saw the sony 61" plasma running HD video from a blu-ray machine at the sony trade show. It caught your eye from 50 feet away it was so sharp. It had footage shot with sonys HD camcorder, looked amazing. Also, the demo was showing movie trailers for Bad Boys 2/Charlies Angels 2/Finding Nemo. The canines cojones....

Also, at my place of work, we have an LG 42PX11 Plasma set up running a High Def Encoded DVD. Admittedly it is an official LG demo disk, so it will be perfect for the screen, but it still knocks peoples socks off. HD compatible for £1599.

18. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    yes ive seen that DVD demo.....It's currently running at Selfridges Oxford Street where they have a 42, 50 and 60 inch on display running the LG dvd.

19. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've seen a Sagem 50" DLP TV in my local Comet. It was connected to a PC running the WMV9 HD demos (downloadable from Microsoft - link below), which are 720p. This is one of the mandatory codecs for HD-DVD players. I guess it is 1:1 mapping of pixels from the source material to the Sagem's 1280x720 DLP chip. Its the first convincing demo of HD video I've seen - it looked fantastic.

James

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/content_provider/film/HDVideo.aspx

20. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    if you buy Digital Home magazine, its got a DVD in HD as a give away. About 8 different clips of about a minute long each....you can only play them on your PC though. They look fantastic.