1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anybody used the pioneer 520 for video editing?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by azzo, Dec 21, 2004.

1. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I would just like to know how effective it actually is to edit minidv footage using this machine.
    Specifically, can you do
    a) frame by frame editing
    b) does it retain the minidv transition markers so you can trim easily
    c) can you make up a DVD with menus to different video clips.
    many thanks for any information
    Azzo

2. brownrog

brownrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't even think about it, unless your requirement is very simple or you are prepared to do enormous amounts of work.

I know the 520 has a 2-way firewire connection but I really can't see it as a serious editor for DV film footage as captured. Re-ordering clips would be highly complex and effects would be impossible.

In theory you could use section erase, divide and the copylist to cut and re-order your footage with frame accuracy but, my, would that be time-consuming compared to using a timeline-based process.

You really are better off doing this on a PC with a decent editing package. Recommend looking at Pinnacle Studio 9 - fairly easy to use (as these things go), quite powerful and authors DVDs from the timeline. PC obviously needs DVD burner (pref. DVD-R), firewire card and lots of disk storage!

3. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    All i want to do is simple cutting and a title. Not so bothered about effects. The trouble with a PC is that it takes hours to render the video.
    Azzo

4. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    This is what I bought the Pioneer 420 for. I record through the composite and then edit the camcorder film on the HD by erasing sections, dividing and renaming. You can't do any effects. You can then organise your film into any order you want and then on finalisation you can put a menu on.

5. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    dmpoole, how 'painful' is this process? Are you generally happy with your machine?
    Thanks azzo

6. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Not painful at all, its very easy to do. You go to an ERASE SECTION where you set an A-B point and erase. You then grab all the files you want and send them to a disk at up to 48x.

I wish it was +R/RW but other than that I'm really pleased with it.