1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anybody suffered from 'screen burn' from Sky logo's?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Uzey, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a bit worried about wifey watching too many crappy Sky channels during the day with their (annoying) logo's. Has anybody on this forums suffered screen burn from any of them and if so, how long did it take to ruin the screen?
    Manufacturers are not very forthcoming about information regarding screen burn and they never specify the amount of time it takes!

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Thought you'd bought a PW6 or 7. If so, and you have read to turn down brightness and contrast for the 1st few hundred hours, it will be fine. I don't give our demo panels a 2nd thought, just not leaving a DVD menu on it for the weekend is all they need.

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    The channel logos shouldn't really cause any problems as, on most of the channels at least, the logos are not displayed during the advert breaks so, in reality, the logos are never there for more than 20-30 minutes at a time. Two channels I know of that don't follow this and seem to display the logo at all times are Challenge and Boomerang.

HTH

John

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    let Zoom become the wifes Fav button on remote as on a panny panel Zoom will take the logo off into the ether and do you really need eastenders in perfect aspect?

TAKE IT OUT OF DYNAMIC MODE

5. Fedorov

Fedorov
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yea, only had my PW6 5 days, only mounted on wall yesterday and already trainged the 6-yr old to at least press the Sky channel up/down when watching Boomerang!!! :)

The user-manual is not too forthcoming on when and how often you should use these screensave type features - I've turned the "Wobble" on - is that sufficient to avoid burn or should I take extra steps?

I've not touch any of the PW6 default contrast/brightness settings - the picture looks too good as it is ;) But what should I drop them to if at all?

Thanks

Fedorov.

6. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Consensus on here seems to be:
    Take it out of 'Dynamic' mode as soon as you take it out of the box;
    Back of the brightness and contrast to as low as you can bear for the first 200 hours;
    Use the anti-retention features, such wobble and peak limit.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    After that, just ordinary sensible things, don't walk away with a PS2 game paused for hours etc.

8. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you've got 'San Andreas', that won't be a problem. Can't stop playing it!!!!!!!