1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anybody seen the Star Wars special edition Laserdiscs on the Panny PTAE-100?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by TK421, Mar 3, 2002.

1. TK421

TK421

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I just wondered has anybody tried the Star Wars special edition Laserdisc box set on the new Panny? I recently downloaded the manual and wondered after reading the Aspect ratios section whether the "zoom" mode would cut off the sides of the letterbox when viewing a non-anamorphic picture (hope not!!!). This seems to be the mode to run such material on the Panny?

I have the Denon LA-2300 Laserdisc player and am hoping that it will look halfway decent (the denon has both composite and s-video outs although the S-video has always looked awful on my 130cm Panasonic RPTV).

If anybody could give some impressions if they have seen it that would be great (screen shots anybody?? :) )

This forum has been such a good source of info guys, nobody knows jack (you know what) about the PTAE-100 over here, looking forward to owning one in a couple of weeks

Cheers

TK421

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,412
    Don't know a thing about the projector but if you feed the s-video output of the player into the s-video input of a Win TV card in your pc, you can use D-scaler (free software) to produce a progressive scan image to feed to your projector. If it will take it.
    The point is the image quality is improved significantly. Thought you'd like to know cos you sound like a Star Wars fan who wants to see the movies in as high quality as possible.
    Check out some photos of Star Wars at 8 foot wide from LD at
    http://www.avforums.com/sdw/homecinema8.html

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I have some none anamorhic dvd's, I could try them in zoom later today, and see if I loose any image on the Panny.
    I do have some screen shot's here all in s-video.

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    TK

Your in luck, I have just tested "Star Trek The Final Frontier", a none anamorphic dvd, I tested it in zoom mode and no picture was lost at all. the quality did degrade slightly, but it was still watchable.
    So it should be OK with your Laser disc :)

5. TK421

TK421

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Tim!!