1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has Anybody /got Iscan/ultra

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by djw, Mar 21, 2003.

1. djw

djw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI.
    I ORDERED THE ULTRA and would like to here from somebody that has one I have a CRT/420 sim. I put post up on CRT no replys yet.
    THANKs DJ.

2. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have used the isca ultra on my pioneer pdp 503 mxe and have found no improvement in picture quality on dvd or sat. tv.The only benifits are the connctions that are available but £830 IS A LOT OF MONEY TO PAY FOR THAT

3. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Alwyn,

If that's the case, then the deinterlacer on the Pioneer is obviously a good one. It just goes to show that you need to do your homework and try the two bits of kit together before you buy.

I'm sure you could sell your Ultra quite easily in the 'classified' forum.

Brian.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Brian,

The de-interlacer in the Pioneer doesn't have 2:2 detection for film source material (ie material broadcast or recorded which was originally from film). The difference this makes should have been obvious with certain material. This is not just a DVD specific thing as tv programmes and even adverts are filmed on film quite often.

Alwyn may not have seen a difference for many reasons not least of which he may not have found the artifacts present without it annoying.

I am sure I could show you an obvious improvement with an offboard scaler or de-interlacer quite easily....

Gordon

5. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I used two connections from my proceed dvd to the plasma one was component going through the iscan the other was s/vidio going direct into the plasma I could switch from one to the other and make instant comparisons there was no difference I DID THIS WITH REGION 2 DISCS IN ORDER TO GET A COMPARISON WITH THE PLASMA WITHOUT ANY PROGRESSIVE EFFECT mY OPINION IS THAT THE PIONEER HAS A HIGH RESALUTION AND THERFORE,YOU DO NOT GET ANY REAL IMPROVEMENT

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    ALWYN:

I have a 433mxe. I can see the difference 2:2 pulldown makes. We both see what we see. I always say if you cannot see an improvement or hear an improvement then don't buy a product. You have made the correct decision.

Gordon

7. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Gordon, If you have a product other than the iscan that you know would make a significant improvement pleas let me know.I had thought about the Key digital card that is shortly due out I would welcome your opinion

8. djw

djw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THANKS
    LADS for your replys. I ordered the ULTRA.
    SHOULD have it this week. I will let you know.
    reguards DJ.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello Alwyn

I find it pretty hard to understand that you can see NO difference using the iScan Ultra in your system and if I understand your 'test' method correctly and assuming the iScan does indeed do nothing in your system are we also to assume that your Proceed DVD player shows no difference/benefit when using its YUV (Interlaced I assume) or S-Video outputs - if that is the case I wonder why the Proceed has the YUV outputs on it!

Best regards

Joe

(PS When you said on the phone that someone had posted about not finding a difference using the PDP-503MXE with an Ultra I had not followed that it was you!!!)

10. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hello Jo, Madrigal admit the difference with component versus s/vidio is only minor
    As to the person I metioned to you on the phone,it was a chap advertising his iscan ultra for sale at £600 the reason he was selling was he olso had a pioneer mxe plasma and he olso had found no improvement in picture quality .It is strange that we have not seen one person coming forward with praise for the product.incidentialy the chap selling the iscan said that he intended to try the key digital card olso

11. BigH

BigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Guys,

I have the Ultra with a 50" Panny (5 series) and have noticed an improvement. It appears that the benefits seem to be greater on the biggest screens. I have seen comments on those using 42's or less having less sucess with the Ultra. It could be the combination of size and resolution that makes the difference.

BigH

12. simon69

simon69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Check out the lumagen, I think you will find what you are looking for.

13. lab

lab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hijack this thread but I am curious to know what improvements were seen by BigH,I have the Panny 50" 3 series.BigH could you be more specific as to what improvements you have seen, maybe I should be considering one of these.

14. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Confession time - for it is I who has unloaded the iScan ultra due to seeing little or no benefits on a 433MXE.

Don't know why this should be, but PQ via RGB-VGA converter or from a Denon 3800 DVD via component is not improved if I route it via the ultra. In the former case this involved converting the RGB to component then to the ultra then to the 433 VGA. For the Denon I tried both interlaced and progressive out to the ultra then to the 433. PQ was no better and no worse. I tried all sorts of adjustments on the iScan but the only adjustment which did anything was the Y/C delay which improved the containment of colours.

I should say that the PQ on the 433 is top notch anyway - so it was a tough job for the ultra to make it any better. Interesting though that several 433 owners have said that they see no improvement when using the iScan.

15. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Would that be Denon 3800 DVD that uses the same Silicon Image SiI504 chipset as the iScan Ultra (minus the chroma fixer chip). I don't consider this a suprise that you don't see any improvement in picture. If you are comparing 3800's progressive output versus 3800 interlaced into Ultra which then does progressive; the picture should be virtually the same.

I have an iScan Ultra in use with Panasonic 5 50", I use the Ultra for Sky (via JS Tech's RGB-CUY convertor) and GameCube component. The difference this box makes to Sky Digital is staggering, Sky almost looks as good as my prog-scan DVD player. Furthermore, GameCube games are very impressive and look "higher resolution". IMHO with this plasma screen, the iScan Ultra is almost an essential extra.

As BigH mentions above, reading these forums I've read posts from people saying that the difference with PannyPW5 42" screens isn't as noticeable which is probably attributed to resolution (i.e. the downscaling to 480 pixel rows) as it apparently improves PannyPHD5 42" (768 pixel rows) similarly to 50" model.

I've also read posts from owners of Pioneer 433MXE saying that iScan Ultra doesn't do much for their screen; although were they all from philipb and alwyn? If so, perhaps it's a faulty unit.

philipb says "Interesting though that several 433 owners have said that they see no improvement when using the iScan." If this is the case, perhaps Pioneer's internal deinterlacer is of top knotch quality -- in which case one should see little difference between progressive scan or interlace output from a DVD player -- and the Panasonic one is poor.

On my plasma this external deinterlacer provides very impressive results.

StooMonster

16. alwyn

alwyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The plasma that I ((alwyn) have is pioneer 503mxe and I found no improvement on sky at all.I spoke to the engineer at nexnix and he said that in tests that they had done with the iscan ultra panasonic showed some improvement but the mxe showed non he went on to say he thought that was because of the high resolution of the mxe Thats what the man said

17. BigH

BigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Iab,

Stoomonster sums up the improvements nicely above. The improvements are noticeable with nice solid clean edges, this still depends on the original material of course, with the BBC and ITV channels it works well. The question is do you want to spend another £800+ to get the benefit, you will of course need a JS box to take your Sky digital SCART to component output (that's another £130). All in all with cables it will cost about a £1000, which is 15% of your plasma!! If you watch a lot of Sky (we use it like a normal TV) then yes, if it's occasional use maybe not! It depends what else you put through the Ultra ie non progressive DVD etc. The ISCAN Ultra has 6 inputs - 2 composite, 2 SVHS and 2 component and works well as a video swithching unit. I bought my Panny without the tuner (smart move in hindsight) and now use the ultra to marshall my video material. Another consideration is the lip synch issue, putting the Ultra in the path will introduce some delay. I have just bought a Denon 3803 which has delay facilities, it works a treat, currently using about 160ms as an average to get a good result.

I hope this helps.

BigH

18. lab

lab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BigH
    Thanks for that.I have the Panny without tuner and a cheapie progscan dvd player.I already have the converter which I use for Ntl digital and I don`t use sky.To be honest I already get a fairly good picture but can`t help wondering if there is an improvement to be gained(does this ever go away) I would be very reluctant to introduce anything into my system that may introduce a lip synch error as I am fortunate to not have one at all at the moment.
    So thanks for the info but I think perharps this is not the upgrade for me.