1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anybody got DVD's with this sound?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Grimley, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at my DVD collection a little while ago & discovered one of my discs has an MPEG 5.1 soundtrack. I tried playing the sound through my Receiver & I get no sound.

Then I remembered that MPEG 5.1 was going to be the sound standard for DVD's B4 it it was launched, but DD got the go-ahead instead. I believe it was to do with the fact that some hardware (expensive hardware at the time) was on the market to decode DD soundtracks on laserdisc players & other market forces forced DVD software makers to put DD soundtracks on discs. I did see (at the time) one or two hardware manufacturers bring out MPEG 5.1 amps & decoders, but they didn't last long.

Does anyone out there own a DVD with an MPEG 5.1 soundtrack on it & can you actually play this soundtrack on your system?

BTW the disc I have which has this soundtrack is the Three Tenors concert from 1990 in Rome which is the 1st DVD I ever bought from Tower Records Picadilly Circus about 5 years ago :blush: :rolleyes:

2. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A few of my early region 2s had mpeg on. I cant remember if I was ever able to play them, dont think I tried.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To play them you need either a receiver with an MPEG decoder (some Philips receivers have this) or if you don't have this (as many don't), you need to set the MPEG option on your DVD player to "PCM" (or equivalent, basically get your DVD player to do the decoding).

It was indeed a DVD-Video standard and is still such.

For R2 and R4, the encoding options are at least one of: PCM, Dolby Digital, MPEG-2 Audio (Layer II)

For R1, it must be at least one of: PCM, Dolby Digital.

There are some disks out there with MPEG-2 soundtracks and I have a couple. Philadelphia R2 is one.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    In the beginning it looked like we were going to be lumbered with MPEG thanks to lobbying by Philips, and Dolby Digital was to be optional but luckily someone saw sense and MPEG became an option which soon died a death.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did compare an MPEG soundtrack briefly with its DD equivalent once, but this weas only through my TV. I wasn't too impressed though, as you say Ian. The MPEG soundtracks lacked a certain something. I keep meaning to try through my receiver for a more realistic comparison and to satisfy my curiosity.

I recall the Beekeeper on a mission to collect up lots of MPEG5.1 disks a few months ago. I wonder if he's been busy comparing them to DD and DTS :)

6. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    If I remember rightly the one good thing about having a player that can cope with MPEG sound is that it is then possible to create VCDs/SVCDs with proper surround?

7. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the very first R1 release of Very Bad Things that boasts a 5.1 MPEG soundtrack. To be honest, I have no idea what it meant until now. Sounds OK, though.

8. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to recall reading a review by Barry Fox some years ago where Philips demonstrated a sorted MPEG setup which, for a pre-production sample, was impressive and boded well as an alternative to DD for the European market. As it turned out the format was dropped but may not necessarily have been the dog that many expected.

9. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I remember a work colleague showed me The 1st UK Usual Suspects. From what I recall it was MPEG 2ch and Full screen only. I told him to take it back. He did!