Has anybody ever managed to get a Benq design monitor open?

Steve Paulson

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have a Benq PD3220U monitor and recently made the mistake of being a little too liberal with window cleaner when trying to clean some fairly stubborn dirt spots off it. Some of the cleaner dribbled down to the bottom of the screen, seeped through the gap between the screen and the bezel and the picture now has some funky vertical lines at that spot as well as a nice general washout. Ugh.

I'd like to get the back off it to dry it out and clean it off with some alcohol electronics cleaner, but I can't for the life of me work out how to get the damn thing open. There are 4 screws around the VESA mounting plate which I've removed, but no other screws or screw covers that I can see. There looks to be a single plastic spring clip at the bottom, but pushing it in doesn't appear to do very much to enable removal of the back. It feels like it's retained all the way around somehow.

It may just be a case of prizing as gently as I can all the way around, but I'd rather not risk breaking the plastic if there is some trick to getting it apart.

Has anybody ever done this before?

Sorry cant help mate but thanks for the heads up, I have a 1440p version of this montitor and it need cleaning so I have learned a valuable lesson, have you tried youtube for a teardown vid?

Most of these monitors use clips that need to be 'teased' open with some time of plastic or thin edged utensil. I suggest you go to youtube and do a search for dismantling or opening a monitor (you could do a search for your paritcular model but this probably won't get you any results). At any rate the process between brands is much the same.

Be careful with power supply components since you don't want to kill yourself. take staged pictures so you have no problems with reassembly.

Good luck.

Most of these monitors use clips that need to be 'teased' open with some time of plastic or thin edged utensil. I suggest you go to youtube and do a search for dismantling or opening a monitor (you could do a search for your paritcular model but this probably won't get you any results). At any rate the process between brands is much the same.

Be careful with power supply components since you don't want to kill yourself. take staged pictures so you have no problems with reassembly.

Good luck.
Tried to take it to Best Buy for them to look at it. Learned two things:
1) Best Buy does not service monitors
2) If you're going to pick up a monitor by its stand, make sure it's properly clipped in.

On the plus side, when the monitor fell out of its stand, it landed on the back, so the screen was not damaged, and it also started the process of getting the case apart. It is indeed retained all around the edge with little plastic lugs. Getting the back off from this point was pretty easy and while a bit of internal plastic got damaged in the fall, the case is structurally fine.

Once inside, it was not too hard to get mostly apart, although it is quite clearly not designed to be easily serviced. Sadly, I have not yet managed to get all the way to the circuitry that is still affected by the cleaner, but I have fixed the flickeriness by spraying it down with rubbing alcohol. The vertical bands are still there, so there is clearly still some cleaner shorting a bunch of tracks on the LCD panel that I can't get to.

Unfortunately, I learned something else from this experience: there is an air gap between the LCD panel and the plastic screen. They are not bonded like phone screens typically are. The result of this is that alcohol has now seeped into the gap and given a nice pattern over the screen. This is both good and bad news: bad because the screen is now in a worse state, but good because it means there is the potential for further disassembly than I have this far managed. It's actually mostly good news, because while the screen is technically in a worse state, in practice it has merely gone from completely unusable to totally unusable. I'm guessing that the plastic screen will be held to the LCD with a bunch of hot melt sticky tape. When I'm feeling really keen, I'll dive back into it and see if I can go all the way in. When I'm feeling even more keen, I'll try to reassemble them without getting any dust trapped in between.

I'll post back as and when I try again. In the meantime, be REALLY careful with your Benq monitors, people!

Yes indeed, it is quite often that these lessons are learned the hard way. Good luck with the operation

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom