Has anybody actually sorted out all there Toshiba 36ZP18 Problems?

aiboman

Novice Member
Hello all so is there anybody out there with a 36" Toshiba 36ZP18 sorted out all there problems that have been listed here in various posts? I am currently on my 3rd set and I am in talks with Toshiba trying to get my 4th replacement set

I have all the usual faults ie dirty looking screen brightness flickering and the most anyoning is I have a 6" x 4" blue/green tinge at the top left hand corner of the screen now as I said before I am on my 3rd set and Toshiba have admited to me that they are aware of the problem and told me to get the set changed again!!

So I have been looking around the various post here and noticed lost of people with all the same faults as me and was wondering has anybody actually sorted out all there problems and got a decent set ?

kenfowler3966

The only noticeable issues on my 18 month old(3rd set though, first bust in delivery, second faulty analogue tuner) is the non black screen on a dark shot, and whites too bright on analogue reception.

As I don't use analogue at all, and the other aspects are so good, such as near perfect geometry I did not try for a 4th set and am sticking with mine for the forseeable future.

I have never seen the brightness flicker etc that others complain of.

M

Markster

>I have all the usual faults i.e.

>dirty looking screen
- present on all models just to varying degrees, luck of the draw.

>brightness flickering
- present on all models just to varying degrees, luck of the draw.

>have a 6" x 4" blue/green tinge at the top left hand corner of the screen now
- Shouldnt have this, I would get it replaced.
could be a positioning problem, is it near any speakers etc?
Have you tried it in other parts of the room?, have you unplugged it and let it off for a while.

Alot of the 'faults' named on this forum are actually 'features' of this set [ i love that phrase ;-) ] , its just luck as to how noticeable they are. I personally had a good one and didnt really notice most of the 'features'. Sent it back anyway because the brighter sides are visable on every 36ZP18 model.

D

Delboy3

I have had a 36ZP18Q for a couple of weeks now, and to be frank, I am really impressed with the qualiy of the picture. I manage to ignore the two bright vertical patches on each side of the picture and have not noticed the "dirty screen" effect. Instead my attention gets drawn to the pin-cushion distortion (which varies with picture colour) of the vertical left side of the picture, especially in 4:3 or 12:9 mode. I have emailed, faxed and phoned Tosh over the last 2 weeks asking for advice, but have not yet received any response. Comet kindly swapped it for another but that was even worse & I rejected it so I still have the original. Since then I have been debating what to do next and have opted for another exchange as adjustments to the set would apparently have nullified my right to an exchange or refund! I just hope I will not be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire by trading off this relatively minor non-linearity fault for worse problems like dirty screens! Deciding on whether to accept or reject the replacement is tough in the few moments the delivery men are around and the awful truth comes much later when watching that favourite programme! By then its too late. Fingers crossed again!

Desticado

had my set nearly 12 months now and im still happy.
Yes I do notice the lighter edges in dark shots but thats about it really.

The acid test for me though is that EVERYONE i've sat in front of the set and told "there is something wrong with this picture, can you see what it is" has not noticed it.

I have ONCE noticed the flickering, which was in one particular scene towards the end of Godfather III (where Pacino & Keaton are in the kitchen/diner of the old dons house).

But that is the ONLY time I've noticed it in 12 months useage and about 200DVD's

Regards

R

Ricardo

Strange. I've read much about the problems with the 36" but nothing about the 32". Do I assume there are more differences with these TV's than just the screen size?
:confused:

M

Markster

Same with any of the manufactures.

36" is pushing CRT to the max therefore you are going to be able to see all the flaws in any 36" which isn't noticeable on the identical 32" model.

..but who would possibly want a Small 32" TV these days ;)

Desticado

Markster is correct (and about the 32" :rolleyes: :D )

I believe the problems with the tosh 36" are due to getting close to the absolute maximum size of CRT sets. In pushing the screen from 32" to 36" the combination of the 'spread' of thr tube, and the type of coating on the glass/screen, along with the necessary gubbins to produce flat 100Hz causes even very minor defects to be seen more easily.

One tip I did hear of is to keep getting Toshiba to send you new sets out until they forget just how many they have sent / received so that you end up with a free one....

Happened to at least one lucky git that I know of.

Regards

D

Delboy3

Toshiba phoned me today after studying my photos of "pin-cushion" distortion on my 36ZP18Q and said the set was probably within tolerance limits (they suggested 5mm from a straight line). They said they all have this feature to some extent and a replacement would probably be the same! I guess I'm going to have to live with it as I like the general picture quality and other makes have their own share of problems

Gary D

Distinguished Member
i've had mine for about a month, and the only thing that really bugs me is the lighter screen edges, there is a small patch of dirty screen on the top/right but it seems to be getting small with time (like so much in life!!! ha ha).

I paid £900 for it new and i'm i would defend this TV with my life its the best set i've ever had, my xbox games on it a stunning!!!! and DVD's are breathtaking. if there is anyone on this forum with a 100% perfect TV then i'd be surprised. you have to remember that we were all blessed with "perfect vision and hearing" - its the cross we have to bear for liking home cinema.

Gary

MattJB

Novice Member
I was once the unfortunate owner of the 36ZP18P

Don't buy one.

The upconverter flickering was the bane of my life for 6 months.

Go for the 36ZD26P......

PROGRESSIVE SCAN RULES!

Mikef

Standard Member
I've been looking at getting either a Sony 32LS60 or Tosh 32Zd26 in recent months, but this weekend, while I was dreaming and drooling in Rackhams tv section, my wife pointed and said "I'd like one of those..", seems she likes the look of the 36Zp18. I think it's the appeal of the picture frame style.

I'm not convinced, I'm sure the sound in 'normal' listening mode won't be brilliant from those tiny speakers, but Empredirect have this set on offer right now for £1300, so now of course I have to go out and test this tv in all the stores in Basingstoke...

HOw have others found the sound on this set, when not using the extra speakers/pro logic set up?

Thanks

Mikef

Desticado

I've never used the surround speakers, they're still in a box up the loft. The internal speakers are reasonable for a tv but cannot compare to a dedicated amp/speaker setup.

Mikef

Standard Member
Cheers. I wont be using it with an amp/speakers for a while, so it would just be used 'standalone'. Having done some research thru these forums though, I am a bit put off by tales of dark/light bands.

Have to do a bit more research to see how/when these are visible, and see if I can spot htem instore.

ta

mikef

Desticado

You wont see the bands etc in store.

Most of the 'problems' only show up when watching the tv in a darkened room, a la cinema.

I've had my set 12 months now and Im happy with my choice. My only complaint was that after 3 months of negotiations with the wife ("Its way too big!!!") and another two months of it sitting in the house, she turns around one evening and says "Actually, we could have got a bigger set...." :eek: :mad: :rolleyes:

Pauleylad

The dolby digital output is not at all bad on this tv.
Also the "normal listening" is fine in normal surround. Yes the speakers are small but are not at all tinny.
Of course they won't match a dedicated amp setup but you wouldn't expect them to.
Good luck
Paul

Mikef

Standard Member
Thanks. If i get this set, I probably won't use the extra speakers very often, but if the sound coming direct from the TV itself is fine without, thats OK. I'll see when I actually get around to having a proper demo.

Does this set accept component input, I think the ZD26 series does?

ta all

mikef

cliveg

This is for MikeF...if you live in Basingstoke, go to Allders in Chineham. They are the only store that will price match off the internet...I did that about 10 months ago, and got £540 off the price they were selling it at! Didn't get the 5 year warranty, but what the hell!! I have not had any of the problems every one else seems to have had...maybe I'm just lucky, deaf or blind...or all three!

Cheers.

By the way, MikeF, if you do go to Allders in Chineham, ask to be served by Mark...he's a young friend of mine...known him for years. Just say you're a friend of Clive's.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming To Netflix in October 2020. Tom's Thumbs.

Trending threads

Top Bottom