1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

has any one used Goo for their screen?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Respectamonkeee, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as above really...

notice nexnix are now selling it and wondered if its any good..

i've just done my wall with icestorm and im not entirely happy with the results...leaves the image looking a little dark....with my HS10

may have to take the filter off and see if that helps...

if the Goo reflects light back it may make for a brighter image.

thoughts please

2. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    KBK has always struck me as being at bit 'eccentric'. Who knows, maybe this stuff actually works, but, at around £125 for a litre for a grey screen it isn't exactly cheap.

Give Walter Stewart a call at http://www.direkt2u.co.uk/ and see how much a Da-Mat High Contrast costs. If you don't mind importing you can get just the screen material from AVScience http://www.avscience.com/ they quoted me $200 for a piece 84"x35" when I wanted to swap out my High Gain material.

In the longer term, a proper commercial screen is going to be more practical, and it will sit better with your Tag and HGS! ;)

3. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've taken the filter off my pj and like the image a lot more due to the added brightness....but its still not up to the quality of my old 6ft 1.2 gain screen.

Think a nice fixed screen with edgeing will be order of the day

Thanks Gary

4. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  5. Rolf

Rolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used at the beginning standard matte white paint from an local store...Upgraded with screen paint from Goosystems, and the result was the best upgrade in my HT ever...

The Goo can be delivered as digital-Grey and more standard CRT-White.

Painted my screen (Drywall 230cmx 126cm ~ 16:9) with 2 layers screengoo base-coat and then 2 layers of top-coat, the result was amazing!

Tha paint is based on latex, and need up to 6 weeks before finished drying period. Here is som screenshots I took first of the old screen paint, and last to the new Goo screen after 4 weeks drying:

From my old $8 standard white, to the first week with goo here.

Screenshoots taken after 4 weeks drying period here.

6. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very nice picture quality you have there Rolf.

I take it thats an Electrohome 8500?

Just shows that LCD and DLP technology has a way to go before it surpasses CRT. In fact it makes a mockery out of the SIM Domino projector I demoed around a month ago.

The colours in particular look very natural.

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    Not so sure I can agree with you.

Having seen some proffesionaly set-up 8 and 9inch Barcos at the recent Event II, they weren't that far ahead of some equally well set-up DLPs.

I was expecting to see something quite special, but instead I felt that what I have isn't that bad at all, so I've no yearning to go CRT or even upgrade.

I don't have a Sim, but I've seen various models that have all been set-up properly, and they all look very good indeed.

Guy Kuo of Ovations Avia fame owns a CRT and bought an NEC HT1000 to watch tv on. After some tweaking, he says he has got it to within 95% of his CRT. He even said that in some respects, the DLP is better than his CRT, and his wife seems to prefer it. I can't see him keeping his CRT much longer. :)

Gary.

8. Rolf

Rolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was at my friends new setup today, just to take a look at his new gear... Barco 1209s in mint condition connected trough a Holo3D-I card.

What a PQ!! :eek:

My next upgrade:

1. Holo3D
    2. New better VGA-BNC cable (too much noise on my cheap one).

The Radeon 9000Pro > Theatertek w/ffdshow resize 1280x720@72 cannot compete with Holo3D (AND that Barco!)
    :eek:

9. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LCD/DLP does have its advantages over CRT:

- smaller
    - easier to setup
    - brightness

But CRT still wins over in:

- Colour reproduction
    - Not limited to one resolution without scaling
    - Higher refresh rates
    - Better black levels
    - Superior contast levels
    - much longer CRT life(10-15000hrs) vs lamp life(1-4000hrs)
    - No screendoor

These to me mean that CRT will always be the more aspirational technology for the time being.

10. Rolf

Rolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My guess is that most people uses their projectors for movies...
    Why then pay 2k for an DLP, when an CRT in good condition can be bought for the same price?

If I wanted to setup the PJ every time for an movi, and then stack the PJ in a closet, an DLP is a good choise.

An CRT takes time to setup the first time, then it's enough to touch up the setup every 6'th month...

A bulb must be replaced every 2-3000hour, an CRT tube every 15-20000 hours. The cost for an refurbished CRT is the same as for an new bulb!

a.g. CRT = Best price, best PQ! :lesson:

11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    I have to disagree with colour reproduction being one of CRTs strong points too. Depending on the model of course, not having a red tube (strong orange is pretty good though) does nothing for reproducing an accurate red. ;)

Digital pjs may not be able to do true black like a properly set-up CRT can, but neither can they do full white like a digital pj can. :)

So you see, no technology is perfect, and each has it's own good and bad points, you just pick your poison. Don't forget, a badly set-up CRT will look just as bad as a badly set-up digital, but in different ways - just look at the misconverged pictures you often see in pubs for instance.

CRT does win, but not by much IMHO and that was my point. Guy Kuo seems to agree with me. :D-

Gary.

12. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First I've eard that a CRT can't produce a true white???

Rolfs shots look like they have some white in there ;)

13. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    Like grey screens, it's how the eye perceives what it's seeing.

Project onto a grey screen, and the brightest 'grey' will look white unless you can compare it directly with a white screen, in which case you'll notice the grey. The same applies here.

Some CRT owners have complaints of foggy whites when the brightness is overdriven IIRC, so again, it's a case of pick your poison. :)

There was an interesting thread over on avs where the topic was crt colour vs dlp colour:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=320434&highlight=dlp+color

HTH

Gary.

14. sheggsl

sheggsl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I own both a Sony G70 (CRT) and JVC G150 (DILA with a Xenon lamp) pj and I think I have to disagree with Gary on the production of true whites. I don't think there is any digital pj that can compete with a properly set up CRT in colour reproduction.

The ability to produce stunning whites was one the reasons that promted me to get the G70 in the first place.

One of my tests for proper white reproduction is the Naval wedding reception scene on the DT version of U571. The whites on the Naval uniforms just sparkle on the G70.