Has any one tried these USB mains sockets?

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
I'm after cutting down on the amount of chargers lying around and the fact that they take up valuable wall sockets when in use an have seen the wall sockets that you can get that add a mini transformer built in to provide a USB power outlet.

Now I've spotted this one on eBay and was just wondering if anyone had used this specific one or can recommend a better one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230696916989

dazza1883

Novice Member
I wouldn't buy any of these electrical goods from hong kong most of them are not certified for British use and in some cases can invalidate your house insurance if they should catch fire. They are cool I have seen a few uk ones in the odd DIY shop

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
Fair comment guys, has anyone else used a proper kite marked one that they can recommend? Don't mind paying for the proper thing!

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
This is a widow maker!

It is not suitable for the following reasons:

No containment (Covering) around the low voltage circuit, so a wire going astray could short out the usb and become mains potential

Not suitable for use on ring mains

Socket has various outlet types, including those not fitted with fuses, so in the UK, you could be connecting to a 30A ring main...

Nice idea though. There is no reason why one of these could not be produced to meet british standards, but it would probably be built around a double socket.

SteveU30

Distinguished Member

smiley125

Standard Member
All depends how much power the usb socket will give off as some usb powered devices take 1200ma.

I have seen double versions from a reputable make but cant seem to find the mag i found them in now..
Try asking at a local electrical wholesalers?

towns

Novice Member
I understand what you guys are saying, unfortunately all the ones that are on the market seem pretty awful. However what about if you used one like this, Dual Two USB Ports Wall Plate Coupler Outlet Socket Panel | eBay which is just a plug board essentially but then powered it from behind with a proper CE phone charger from the mains, would be no use for installing in a proper wall but with a false wall/chimney, you could plug in your phone charger behind and then just link through to the face plate as a tidy solution?

Safe?!

daffykyle

daffykyle

I did get it, also my work have installed a few around in a new part of the office for staff workstations - they do the job!!

MassiveJim

I dont get it, why not just install a normal plug socket leave a charger plugged in to it, then it can double up as a plug socket as well ???

daffykyle

God, i should check out these threads more often!

Product is great, big fan of it!

No3ntry - it has two normal plug sockets on it PLUS two USB sockets. They do just singular USB ones which are for tidyness purposes I guess.

RSWhite

Novice Member

redz

B&Q do some too.. work great but need a 35mm back box.

B&Q do some too.. work great but need a 35mm back box.
The Lap USB ds from Screwfix comes with a spacer to get away with using a 25mm box. Just fitted mine and admittedly... they would look better without the spacer but they still look good with it (polished chrome with high gloss black spacer).

redz

same ones, just diff boxes! ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sony announces A90J UK/EU price and March availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M3x Vinyl phono stage
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
SVS launches 1000 Pro Series subwoofers