1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has Any Looked At The insides of the DV88?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Matt Horne, Apr 4, 2001.

1. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    I only ask because it seems quite obvious (though I may be wrong) that this player is a PC with highend Video/Sond Chips. The Drive sounds and looks (from the Service Menu) to be a Atapi CDROM Drive which would in my eyes explain why it is so noisy and why the layer change is so good!.

I just wonder that if this is the case then you would theoretically be able to sub in a different drive if the need arose as adapti drives seem to always use the same drivers etc etc. Ok so this is a pretty pointless question as who in there right mind would open a £900 player up. But I would still be interested to know how close to a PC it is in comparison to a more mainstream player. This would then also explain how it could easily play MP3/CDRW and have its firmware updated!.....

Food for thought (TIVO's have been hacked and played with as they are LINUX PC's - how about user hacked DVD Players ?)

Matt

:cool:

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the only similarity is that your PC and your DV-88 use the same EIDE/ATAPI interface. I've noticed the references to ATAPI with the DV-88 (like when you put it in multi-region mode).

When you select multiregion mode it says "ATAPI FE". This makes me think that maybe the drive is handling region coding and not the decoding chipset ?

I read an interesting post somewhere (not on this BBS I don't think) about a guy with a US DVD player (can't remember the make). He opened up and noticed it had an IDE cable connecting the drive and mainboard. So he connected the drive to his PC instead and booted it up. Windows 98 recognised the drive, installed it, and let him use it !!

I think the PC-like transport in the DV-88 is part of what allows it to play CD-R's and CD-RW's. However MP3 playback is down to the Zoran "Vaddis III" chipset being used in the machine.

DF

3. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Wasn't that the case when Meridian rolled out a lovely £2000 DVD player and somehow let slip that the drive was based on a Creative Labs unit ? Or does memory serve me wrong ?