1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anorexia been eradicated?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dr Diversity, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst not wishing to belittle anorexia it does seem to be a thing of the past. Body image no longer seems to be an issue. At a theme park yesterday there was no end of teenagers with wobbly bellies hanging over there jeans. Do they imagine that it is attractive or do they just not care anymore?

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,826
    On the contrary, I would suggest that eating disorders are worse than ever. Body image matters a huge amount to the public as a whole, and those that are seriously overweight often suffer bullying, poor self confidence, etc.

In fact (not wishing to have a go) your post is an example of the pressure that some people feel about their weight by implying that those with wobbly bellies simply don't care about themselves. I'm sure they do, but the reasons for being overweight are often more than just due to greed or willpower.

3. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I agree I would add being lazy , inactive , too many video games etc to that list ;) .

4. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,265
    I suppose i both agree and disagree with both of you... it's getting complicated these days..!

BodyImage matters more than ever, agreed, but actually looking like you don't give a damn is also the in-thing these days?, and not just for kids either.... :confused:

And pillow tums on tasty chicks gets a big :thumbsup: from me personally, any day of the week....

5. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's still as bad as ever, it's just not big news anymore or unless it's a star going through it. Have a word with any overweight kid that it's cool to be fat and they'll soon tell you that's total rubbish. It hits young women hardest, between the ages of 15 and 25 but can occur at any age.

But then Anorexia is much more complex then simply thinking you're overweight, it's about having control over something

6. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure it's been eradicated...

but it's certainly thin on the ground.

I'll get my coat.

7. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, it's there on the hanger :)

Not wishing to make light (no pun) of this issue and I am not referring to those who are clinically obese. It's girls who just don't hold there tums in. Looks revolting to me :eek:

8. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Agreed. It happens all too easily, and before even the person or their family understands whats happened.

Putting on weight is a big product of modern life. We do less, walk less, and have less time to compensate by excercising. I can't see any girl thinking its cool to be slightly overweight.

9. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    To add something from the female point of view, yes the pressure is still on to be slim (not thin). Practically every magazine and TV show has images of slim attractive women - therefore the words slim and attractive seem to be synonomous in most peoples minds. Not that I really thought about it until now but look at the thread on the sexiest women thats been going for a while - there was not one on there that was anywhere near a size 12 or above mentioned (remember photo's and films add at least half a stone).

I'm not slim but not huge either and I'm a confident strong person so can accept that my weight is not linked to my attractiveness or popularity. However I still hate having my photo taken, I still hate wearing swimsuits, I still don't like seeing my reflection in a window as I walk past. I think of these things briefly and then carry on, however I can totally understand how younger girls can be so influenced by it.

10. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    The anorexics were there - you just couldn't see them for the railings... :D

11. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    it's still a problem, but it's just hasn't been in the media for ages...all you see now are lard *rses who just eat junk food and don't do any exercise...