Has a software update altered settings?

TVEye

A few days ago I switched on my TV which was already tuned to More4, where there was a programme called The Perfect Pitch, about a campsite I had been to at Pencarnan in Prembrokeshire. The trouble is that it looked as if the entire film was under-exposed, with very little contrast and washed-out colours. After having taken a very long time to get my settings exactly how I wanted them, but in the end just couldn't resist a twiddle. I then found it impossible to get any kind of depth and vibrancy to the image at all, and then found it was the same on HD channels as well. Before that I hadn't touched the settings at all, so is it possible that some kind of an update has thrown them all out? This was on the Standard setting. I use all the others to experiment with, but the same menu options aren't universally available.

martg

Novice Member
A few days ago I switched on my TV which was already tuned to More4, where there was a programme called The Perfect Pitch, about a campsite I had been to at Pencarnan in Prembrokeshire. The trouble is that it looked as if the entire film was under-exposed, with very little contrast and washed-out colours. After having taken a very long time to get my settings exactly how I wanted them, but in the end just couldn't resist a twiddle. I then found it impossible to get any kind of depth and vibrancy to the image at all, and then found it was the same on HD channels as well. Before that I hadn't touched the settings at all, so is it possible that some kind of an update has thrown them all out? This was on the Standard setting. I use all the others to experiment with, but the same menu options aren't universally available.
I think the recent update to my QE50QN94A did seem to cause a change in picture quality. I went through the settings changing some and all looks well again.

Picture Mode = Standard
Brightness = 13
Contrast = 48
Sharpness = 10
Colour = 14
Picture Clarity Settings = Auto
Local Dimming = Standard
Contrast Enhancer = Low
Film Mode = Auto
Colour Tone = Standard
Gamma = BT.1886 (-2)
Shadow Detail =1
Colour Space Setting = Native.

In the 'General' menu, Intelligent Mode Settings = Off

mmj

Q90T here I've not seen any changes (using Calman for calibration).

You just have to accept that some TV programmes will have used badly calibrated cameras. You can see it sometimes in football when they switch to cameras behind the goal etc. the teams kits can change to a totally different shade of colour. It doesn't matter how good your calibration is if the source material is bad - put garbage in get garbage out.

You should just calibrate and then leave it, perhaps re-check your calibration following an update if you have that option. Don't change it for individual programmes though. A calibration isn't supposed to make bad source material look good, it's supposed to follow a reference point that most of the TV and film industry do abide by.

TVEye

I learned long ago NEVER to use football broadcasts when setting up the picture. The difference between different clubs, or even different cameras around the same pitch is staggering. I won't go into individual settings because that is far too subjective, but what seems to set this television apart from any other one I've ever had, is that the Brightness control actually affects contrast and vice versa.

martg

Novice Member
To judge quality, I have only viewed the pictures over a wide range of stations and programmes. News readers in the studio are what I mostly go by on an HD transmission. The rest does get put down to the quality of various broadcasts. The difference after the upgrade was subtle and I wondered if it really was actually different or only the transmissions. The best settings for my eyes aren't quite as they were before and there did seem to have been a change in picture quality.

It was because of thinking this I did an Internet search regarding the update and came across the OP.

Edit: Tell a lie. It was while doing an Internet search I thought of This forum and came here.

Last edited:

TVEye

I'm wondering if any of the programmes that seemed so obviously affected were due to Channel 5's problems with having to use some kind of back-up resource due to technical problems. The first one I noticed was indeed The Perfect Pitch on Channel 5. I only watched it because it featured the wonderful (but rather expensive) Pencarnan campsite, yet ruined by a typically-Channel 5 idiot doing the commentary. That was so washed out that it was impossible to rescue it.

So that explains that one, but then the same thing happened on Channel 4 with Carry On Glamping with Johnny Vegas. I had already watched it before, so I think this might have been on More 4. It was just as bad, so is it possible that Channel 4 also uses this same back-up service?

Edit: Aha ... Major disruption to primetime TV following fire in West London - RXTV info

TVEye

I'm watching Love It Or List It at the moment on Channel 4 HD and it's like watching through a thick fog. It's so bad that I'm certainly not even going to attempt to make it watchable.

TVEye

Make a note of your settings and then try a factory reset?
If you do that, won't the TV be continually trying to update itself with all the previous updates? I'm assuming there's an option somewhere to stop it doing that, but surely at least some of the updates must be desirable?

mmj

You'll still be on the same firmware update it'll just reset the television to the default configuration and clean up the configuration/system files. TV's today are like computers and sometimes you can get bugs/glitches that can occur in the operating system.

You'll also be able to see if the problem still exists before you start messing with anything which might point more to a hardware issue. It'll probably help us if you can post photos of your issue, it's hard for us to diagnose with vague descriptions and not even knowing what TV you have.

TVEye

You'll still be on the same firmware update it'll just reset the television to the default configuration and clean up the configuration/system files. TV's today are like computers and sometimes you can get bugs/glitches that can occur in the operating system.

You'll also be able to see if the problem still exists before you start messing with anything which might point more to a hardware issue. It'll probably help us if you can post photos of your issue, it's hard for us to diagnose with vague descriptions and not even knowing what TV you have.
Q90T. It's definitely something to do with channels which use this back-up service, as all the HD channels are fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom