Has a film ever changed your life

goodtimes

Established Member
Reaction score
Has watching a film ever changed the way you think about life??
made you change the way you see life??

Inspired you to get out and do it,take risks or even chill out and enjoy life more???
Or helped you make major decisions or effected your life to a major degree?

I've had a fear of Sharks from an early age.

Certainly won't go swimming anywhere near them (not they're ever likely to be where I go swimming:rolleyes:)

Get the heebie-jeebies seeing them, watching them on tv. If they appear in any movie etc etc etc.

All that from watching one movie I guess:D

you and 20 million others I suspect:)

I can't really say it changed my life but fight club made me realize how unimportant some posseions are.

Memento.
Stunning film that had me thinking about it for years.
After watching that, I realized just how precious your memory is. Without that, it's hard to even be a human being.

Ghandi by Richard Attenborough.
I was going through a rough patch and it made me realise if Ghandi could do that I could get of my backside.

it encourages me o see that some of us are willing to be inspired and not just a bunch of bafoons wanting to blob out on the couch and simply be entertained

Snow White was my inspiration to become an animator. I spent weeks building an animation table to hold a camera steady. I spent ages drawing flip pictures. I passed my English Oral on animation as my subject. I made lots of Super 8 stop frame movies. I got work as a computer game graphic designer, and animator. I spent ages working on 3D modelling animations. So... Snow White! :smashin:

The Killing Fields. I saw it over 20 years ago and while I am unable to describe how exactly it has done so, I know for certain that the film has changed my outlook in life.

Nope,no life changing film here.

Well maybe Star Wars gave me my passion for all things cinema orientated.

I was a young un' when it first appeared in 77' so the memory will be with me forever.And Kenny Baker and Dave Prowse doing a q&a on stage helped.:thumbsup:

"One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" had me believing that all insane asylum's were a great laugh!!!:)

No seriously, i don't think any movie has changed or could change my life, but it certainly can help to change your opinion on certain subjects.

Yep, the countless horror films I watched as a child inspired me to become a serial ki.... ****, shouldn't admit to that. You didn't hear a thing...

:D

No, I don't think any film has changed anything about me.

No, it's entertainment.

it encourages me o see that some of us are willing to be inspired and not just a bunch of bafoons wanting to blob out on the couch and simply be entertained

Having started the thread, are you willing to say if any movie has changed your life in any way ?

Got any idea how many murdering maniacs were inspired by watching certain movies?

might be a strange choice, but saving private Ryan filled me with absolute admiration for the guys who ran up a beach in that hell to fight for something cause they thought it was right. in the past 10 years i have read nothing but WW2 books, ( i was always into history, but this focused my interest, i now have quite a collection), have visited quite a few of the major sites, (crawled around for a day in the forests of Bastogne to find foxholes...)
and watch anything that comes up on TV about WW2. definitely changed my attitude to things

Not really. Have to agree with Mossym's post above about Saving Private Ryan's opening, but for me standing on the beaches at Dieppe or atop Vimy Ridge, as a Canadian, was far more affecting than seeing anything on the screen. Walking through the graves of kids far younger than I, who had been asked to do something that I never was, has moved me far more than anything I've seen on film.

Film is terribly powerful and has changed attitudes and wrongs, see the effect of Days of Glory on France or the impact of An Inconvient Truth. Personally, film can move me, but my opinion is based on my personal experience and not on a film maker's whim.

Walking through the graves of kids far younger than I, who had been asked to do something that I never was, has moved me far more than anything I've seen on film.

Spot on...i visited a german graveyard in belgium where there are multiple names on each grave as they didn't have room to bury them all seperately. in one grave were 5 german soldiers, none of them over 16. Soldiers? they were kids.

Film is terribly powerful and has changed attitudes and wrongs, see the effect of Days of Glory on France or the impact of An Inconvient Truth. Personally, film can move me, but my opinion is based on my personal experience and not on a film maker's whim.

glad to see someone mention days of glory, i tried recommending it over in the what foreign film are you watching tonight thread, but i don't think anyone was interested. Totally riveting movie, opens your eyes to the conditions some soldiers were forced to fight under. tough to fight for your country when your country doesn't want you...

I can think of three movies that changed my life to one degree or another.

The Usual Suspects - the first movie I really loved. It inspired me to seek out good movies
The Straight Story - the scene in which Alvin and that other guy sit and talk about the war really made me appreciate what veterans have been through. Before that I was like "in the war, blah, blah, blah...".
The Motorcycle Diaries - I watched it at a time when I was deciding whether or not to change my career. This film helped me to make the decision.

No films have really changed my life but back in 1999, my friend, whom was 17 at the time, did lose his virginity the same evening after a big group us went to see American Pie at the cinema.

He (to this day) claims his girlfriend at the time whispered to him in the back of the car 'I want to do it' and the rest, as they say, is history :)

(I must clarify that his 'life changing' moment occurred at presumably either of their residences and certainly not in the back of my vehicle!).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom