1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hart's War, a brief look.

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by uncle eric, Jul 4, 2002.

1. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't really know what I was expecting here. The prision camp genre already has a crowned king and its called 'Stalag 17'. Quite frankly, everything before or since has been a let down. Not 'Hart's War'. While not taking the crown away from 'Stalag' it has a good try. Probably better than most.
    I'll tread very carefully in case I spoil things for folks that have not yet seen it. This is a second world war prison camp story with a tense court room drama thrown in for good measure. Willis does his usual whispering dialogue routine which quite frankly, is becoming increasingly annoying. Thats not to say I don't like the guy. I do. He has great screen presence unlike Collin Farrell who just didn't do it for me.
    However, the most captivating actor on screen during this movie was Marcel Iures, who plays tough as nails German Commandant, Col Wilhelm Visser. He was absolutely superb.
    The race card is thrown in by the introduction of two black officers into the camp. Ranking officer for the POW's, Col McNamara (Willis) places them in the enlisted's 'quarters' and trouble ensues.

This is a double sided disc framed at 2.35-1 on one side and 1.33-1 on the other. (Full Screen and Widescreen if you will).

While picture quality is not quite of reference quality, its pretty darn good. One thing though. CRT owners will simply love the way this film looks. Its gorgeous inky blacks are on countless graduated levels. Beautiful to behold and ideal demo material for well set up CRT's. PQ 8/10

Sound quality (DD only) was very good indeed. There's a scene with a fighter plane dog fight that takes place around and above the camp. The sheer energy from this section of the movie is enough to shake your DVD's off your racks. Very dynamic with good placement. Dialogue was clear and precise at all times. Sound 9/10

Very good movie 8/10.

Eric

2. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Set me up nicely for a viewing tonight. I wasn't really looking at this film as a must see and brought it to watch when there was nothing else on. Will fit in nicely after Lads Army finishes at 10.

Thanks Eric.

3. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brilliant. 9/10. Courtroom drama set in a WWII prison camp. Top movie.:D

4. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brian,
    Glad you liked it.

Regards
    Eric

5. Carol Harvey.

Carol Harvey.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i thought it was crap....only jokin uncle:D

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "The prision camp genre already has a crowned king and its called 'Stalag 17'. Quite frankly, everything before or since has been a let down. "

...Obviously forgotten about the Bridge on the River Kwai and the Great Escape?

:D :D :D Doug

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ..But I concur..Stalag 17 was the benchmark by which others will be judged.
    Doug:)

8. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Two other POW films which I think are equal too or better than Stalag 17 are, Danger Within (1959) and Captive Heart (1940s) Both great POW films AND they are British made.

9. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know if 'Stalag 17' is out on DVD? (Preferably R1)

10. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, Stalag 17 is out on reg 1 and is out or coming out on reg 2 aswell