1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harshness on B&W 602s3?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Daneel, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have noticed a harshness on S sounds on my new system. I think it decreases slightly as the receiver warms up, but it is still there.

The track that particularly stands out for this is Beauty on the Fire by Natalie Imbruglia, during the chorus.

Is it my even my speakers, or is my receiver causing the problem?

Is there anything I can do to lessen this effect?

Turning the treble down just makes highs sound muted, the volume of the S sound decreses but it still sounds the same.

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Sounds like a combination of those metal tweeters, amp and your source material, ie. the DVD. Maybe Natalie is hissing on the track on purpose? Is this a new AV setup? Is it well run-in? Is it perhaps that you are hearing more through your new, good setup than you are used to on an older, warmer one? I'm only fishing here, mind you.

What HiFi (here he goes, you groan :rolleyes: ) always go on about different interconnects and speaker cable having an effect on tone. Do you use silver speaker leads? Maybe someone can recommend a warmer set of leads. Just don't be surprised at the number of people who say they can't tell the diff. between leads.

3. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I bet it's the speakers. They'll warm up quite a bit after 30+hours of solid use and continue to change slightly for weeks. It's mainly the mid-bass that shapes up but the tweeters will loose that dry, metallic, "in-your-ear" sound a little too. I kept the grilles on for the first few weeks, which takes the edge off them slightly.

What receiver are you using? I use silver cable with my 601s and 600s and with a bright-sounding amp (anything from Sony, lol) they can be pretty hard on the ol' ears sometimes. Very nice with Yamaha or Marantz receivers and NAD integrated amps though - superb with the latter - a wonderfully complimentary combination. I haven't messed around with much else though. The brightness the silver cable adds is very subtle in my opinion, but can be "just enough" to push an already bright amp + speaker combination over the edge. I only really use them because I scored 20m, cheap.

MuFu.

4. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I got a similar setup and my B&W's never sound harsh... I'm using non bi-wire silver anniversary cable, I dont know how much difference it makes using other cable because i've not tried other cable. The speakers did take a while to run in though.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    My setup includes B&W Nautilus 805s(see below),and whilst they've never had a hard sound,like all of B&W's speakers they did take a while to run in and for the sound to open out.....during that time,the treble was a bit more prominent.
    If your speakers are basically new,this may well be your problem.

It's also worth noting that the sound characteristics of many amplifiers changes quite noticeably as they warm up,and certainly my Krells are a good example,sounding a bit leaden in the bass until fully hot...again,from what you say,you do have a degree of this in your system.

If it persists after a good run-in period and still gives you trouble,try experimenting with different interconnects and speaker cables(but try before you buy!).

6. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I've had the system for just over a week. It must have had 40 hours play time by now, easily.

The receiver is a Marantz SR7300 (as detailed in my sig below).

The cable is the Hitachi OFC extension cabled from Argos, £12.99 for 10m. After doing a lot of reading I came to the conclusion expensive cables are all marketing and all that matters is guage.

I just went and got a coaxial digital connection and a £20 QED phono connection cable to link my DVD player to the receiver. I was hoping the anaogue connects would take the edge off but they all sound very similar.

The only other system I have to compare it to is my Videologic Sirocco Crossfire speakers connected to my PC. The sound is still there but less pronounced.

Perhaps harsh is the wrong word, it just tends to hiss. But when listening to the track it seems to jump out at me compared to the smoothness of everything else.

I probably hear it more now because I am so concious of it.

7. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi daneel,i have cdms as fronts 600s3 as rears lc60 center,running through 3802 av amp, with nad 540 for cd replay, the denon is a warm sounding amp ,but some cds still sound a bit "tinny re treble) the b&Ws according to there cd info disk states 60 hours run in time, speakers do sound better when amp is warm in sterio, i had silver ann cable,qed interconnect qed1 £20 and on dealers advice changed to dnm reason 2 and dnm bullit interconnect £80 ,did not notice any "real differance" as regards treble quality ie smoother, so loan any cable or interconect befor purchase, also tried swapping rears to fronts with sterio still some things can be a (bit bright) but in your case i would give speakers more time to run in and see if things improve??? my mates got same speaker as you with yam ax592 amp but about 4 years old so well run in,he tried elton johns latest cd compilation , that sounded far worse than some older e/j recordings,