Question Harsh audio - speaker upgrade

benz0

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all, grateful for any advice on upgrading my speakers.

Current set up:

1) Loewe Legro CA Cd/Amp (this was made for Loewe by Linn and is essentially a rebadged Classik)
2) B&W DM303
3) Chromecast Audio

Biggest gripe with my existing set up is that i find the treble harsh and grating on my ears. Changing the amp helped matters here but i think its fundamentally a speaker issue.

My criteria for better speakers:

1) smooth, non-fatiguing sound
2) bookshelves with grilles (have a daughter who will def poke exposed tweeters)
3) sound great at lower volumes
4) wide soundstage and depth
5) lots of detail

Budget: eur 600. Will consider buying used.

Today i listened to a pair of sonus faber principia 3 bookshelves. They didn't seem to strain my ears and were more detailed and had a better soundstage than my existing speakers and were half price. Almost bought them but they didn't blow me away enough to part with the cash there and then. I also want to compare against some alternatives especially as there's almost no reviews or user reports of them online.

Grateful for any feedback!

Hi all, grateful for any advice on upgrading my speakers.

Current set up:

1) Loewe Legro CA Cd/Amp (this was made for Loewe by Linn and is essentially a rebadged Classik)
2)B&W DM303
3) Chromecast Audio

Biggest gripe with my existing set up is that i find the treble harsh and grating on my ears. Changing the amp helped matters here but i think its fundamentally a speaker issue.

My criteria for better speakers:

1) smooth, non-fatiguing sound
2) bookshelves with grilles (have a daughter who will def poke exposed tweeters)
3) sound great at lower volumes
4) wide soundstage and depth
5) lots of detail

Budget: eur 600. Will consider buying used.

Today i listened to a pair of sonus faber principia 3 bookshelves. They didn't seem to strain my ears and were more detailed and had a better soundstage than my existing speakers and were half price. Almost bought them but they didn't blow me away enough to part with the cash there and then. I also want to compare against some alternatives especially as there's almost no reviews or user reports of them online.

Grateful for any feedback!
Ultimately if you hear some that you like the sound of, regardless of any reviews, they should be the ones to go for. I have read many reviews on speakers and then when I listened to the speakers, I completely disagreed with the review.

Last edited:
Ultimately if you hear some that you like the sound of, regardless of any reviews, they should be the ones to go for. I have read many reviews on speakers and then when I listened to the speakers, I completely disagreed with the review. Sound is subjective so reading about them and looking at specifications etc is a waste of time.

Thanks, i agree with that but i want to compare them against others that are highly regarded. For all i know these might not be good vfm

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom