1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban...

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Taz, May 31, 2004.

1. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone going to see the new Harry Potter movie??

Im going today (mrs T is a big fan)

Wish me luck :D

2. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    saw it yesterday, thought it was great!

Although each scene was kind of rushed (Quidditch match!) but there was a alot of story to get through, and the 2 1/2 hours flew past! And IO loved the new setting!

3. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saw it last night thoroughly enjoyed it!!!

Well worth a watch!

Stace :D

4. RedBull

RedBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Well as I'm back home now, I thought I'd make a return to the forums (All be it under a different username) and post about HP3!

I thought it was really well put together - I really enjoyed Alfonso Cuarón's direction over Chris Columbus' previous two HP films. The CG effects looked really smooth too, again unlike the first two films. I'll agree with the above, the two and a half hours really did fly by - time seemed to pass much quicker in HP than in Troy or Day After Tomorrow that I went to see last week! ;)

5. BlueOrange25

BlueOrange25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    Definitely, should be the best one of the lot so far. :)

6. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Also went to see this yesterday, but after having a large slap up Bank Holiday Breakfast, I lost 'concentration' for about 30 seconds - and missed the vital section in the 'Screaming Shack'. So can anyone fill me in on the question below...

Spoiler

- What was the deal with Sirius Black and Lupin ? How were these tied up with Peter Pettigrew and framed for the murder of the Potters ? Were they present at the time ? Where did Pettigrew come from and what is his connection ?
    I thought from the initial film that it was Valdermort himself who despatched the Potters ?

Curse my good lady's fine breakfast...

7. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Although the story was good, I found the pacing a little off and felt that the story of the Dementors and Sirius Black was a little underused/rushed, making the peril Harry Potter was facing somewhat underwhelming. I thought the second one was better and darker in it's tone.

8. RedBull

RedBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Spoiler

You've got me thinking now. When I think back to the film I can't think why Sirius Black had been framed for the Potters' deaths. Peter Pettigrew actually killed them, and was turned into Scabbers; Ron Weasley's rat as a punishment. In the original film it was Voldemort that had done the killings, but it seems that in PoA Peter had been one of Voldemorts 'loyal followers'.

Hmm... you have indeed got me deep in thought over that now. I'm going to have to catch it again sometime, just to clarify it for myself...

9. keiths

keiths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SPOILER

Remus Lupin, Peter Pettigrew, Sirius Black and James Potter were best friends at Hogwarts. Because Lupin was a Werewolf (and was forced to transform each full moon, the others developed into Animagii - wizards who can voluntarily shape-shift to an animal form - in order to keep Lupin company and help him through his monthly ordeal. The four friends even adopted nicknames that reflected their animal forms; Lupin was 'Moony', because of the full moon that turned him to a Werewolf, Pettigrew was 'Wormtail' because he turned into a rat, Black was 'Padfoot' - a large black dog and James Potter was Prongs after the Stag with fine antlers that was his animagus form. This explains the "Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs" on the Marauder's Map and also the reason that Harry Potters Patronus Charm took the form of a Stag.

However, Pettigrew went over to the 'dark side' and secretly became a supporter of Voldemort and it was Pettigrew that led Voldemort to James and Lilly, however Black found out and tried to stop Pettigrew - but Pettigrew faked his own death by cutting his own finger off and casting a spell that killed dozens of innocent bystanders, before transforming into Scabbers - leaving Black to be arrested for the murders.

PS. Thought the film was far, far better than the previous 2, however the pacing was rushed.

Hope this helps,

10. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Took Mrs Taz on Monday and her verdict is as follows:

I came out of the viewing knowing that I liked the film, but feeling kinda cheated somehow..... I was disappointed that Hogwarts had changed such a lot from the previous 2 films..... the whomping willow, hagrids hut, the fat lady - all in totally different places - and I thought they were spot on in films 1 & 2.

Slight SPOILER
    I think the storyline was rushed and centred too much on the main three characters. You only saw Draco 3 or 4 times in the whole film - and can anyone tell me what happened to Crabbe?! He was there in the first scene, but then after that there was a skinny guy in his place - he was never referred to as Crabbe, but I presumed he was meant to be him, as he always appeared with Draco and Goyle (eg: when Hermione smacked him at the stone circle). And Draco's hair - please slick it back again in Goblet of Fire! - it adds to his "nastiness" perfectly!

But as a fan I enjoyed it overall..... I think Chris Columbus had a better idea of the whole Potter thing. He was a fan, and this director admitted to never having read a HP book until he was asked to direct Prisoner of Azkaban.

I'll be very interested to see what this 3rd director does with Goblet of Fire. I read that it will not be released as 2 films, as was previously thought, but I hope that doesnt mean they chop out too much of the story to make it a decent length for kids to sit through?

Long live Potter ! :clap:

Slight Spoiler alert added at Taz’s request.

11. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Just got back from "seeing" this and unfortunately can't comment on it as once i was seated i promptly fell asleep :oops: wakening up only to see the end credits rolling and an empty auditorium :blush: :mad:

Adrenochrome.

12. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

:rotfl: Fair play :laugh: :smashin:

13. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing I did notice at UCI where I saw this, was they warned the audience that night vision cameras were in use to spot people videoing the movie...10 seconds in and I saw 2 IR cameras switch on :eek:

14. RedBull

RedBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I viewed the film at the Showcase Cinema in Teesside and they've actually got a couple of fixed (Or semi-fixed. I've only noticed them during HP) IR cameras either side of the screen. Odd thing was that they had a red LED and a green tinge to the lens so you can blatantly see them...

15. Ryan

Ryan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Watched it lastnight with the missus. We both hated it.
    Why?
    basically the characterisations was weak.
    nothing is explained.
    it felt rushed.
    Why was everybody speaking so fast?

16. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seen al the summer "blockbusters" so far - Troy, Van Helsing, Day After Tomorrow - and this is BY FAR the best of the bunch thus far.
    Saw it in a packed 120 seater cinema with the half term crowd at 11.30 this morning...packed with kids (including 2 of my own...) but one in particular, couldn't have been more than 4 years old, sat 3 yards away from me..."Where's Harry Mummy", "Why's hagrid doing that Mummy - Why?"...the funny thing is, it didn't spoil the film.
    It is very good to excelent. The main characters have really grown up and this is a lot darker than the previous 2 HP movies...
    Gary Oldman is superb as Sirius Black and my 15vyear old son commented on how it was just how he pictured Sirius Black in the books.

Well worth a watch...but a couple of tips first...go to a later showing (after 9pm I would say)...and don't take any 4 year olds with you. They won't find it very clever, and you'll be up all night calming them down...

Overall - 9/10 and the special effects in this make day After Tomorrow look like The Muppet Show... :thumbsup:

17. RedBull

RedBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hear hear! Last week I went to see Troy on the Wednesday, Day After Tomorrow on Friday, and Harry Potter on Bank Holiday Wednesday - After the first two I was saying how much I enjoyed DAT (Despite some of the comments about the movie on here! :D ) but after seeing Harry Potter its my "new favourite film" for the time being.

I never really got into the first two as much as I would have liked, probably down to the fact that I never saw them at the cinema, only on the "small screen" at home.

November 15th 2005 - Release Date for the Goblet of Fire ;)

18. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    having read all five books so knowing all the backlog etc i found the POA to best by far the best film so far. direction was brilliant, so dark and the dementors were exactly as i picture them in my head as i read the book. obviously they couldnt add all the content of the book but i felt they got enough across for people who havnt read the books. i totally enjoyed it and cant wait for the dvd :) its a dam pity that Alfonso isnt directing HP & GOF but the new director (mike newell) may take things to another level.

19. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    went today with the little un, got to admit i liked the movie. the only thing i found annoying was the sound occasionally dropped out and there was this massive ball of fluff in the corner of the screen for the first 10 mins. other than that a hearty thumbs up.[ oh and yes nightvision goggles were in use]

20. Gregorski

Gregorski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can't wait to see this one. I'm pleased to hear people have enjoyed it. Have to wait til I'm back in Blightey as (unusually) they're dubbing it here.

21. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK guys (and Mrs Taz) I'm not a massive fan of HP but I enjoy reading the books when on holiday and don't mind the first 2 films now and then on DVD but I couldn't call myself a fan.

When I read HP & TPOA, in the book the dementors were made out to be very scary, but in the film (flame suit on) they looked to me like something from Rent-a-ghost!... The Ringwraiths from LOTR were far better portrayed IMHO.

Maybe im missing the point here but I thought they could have been far better than they were.

Just my opinion, I await the flack :)

22. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The Odeon Leicester managed to show it slightly out of focus. Despite several complaints from the audience, nothing was ever done about it.

:suicide: :suicide:

23. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    not gonna give you flack but my vision of the dementors were exactly as they were portrayed in the film. i thought they did a very good job of it. even rowling herself said they were exactly as she imagined but hey even if they wernt she wouldnt mind as her gazillion pound francise would be getting bigger anyways :laugh: