1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harry Potter - Officially Evil

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Miyazaki, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    http://www.itv.com/news/entertainment_553834.html

The Pope has criticised the Harry Potter books, saying they "distort Christianity in the soul", according to two letters published online.

The comments were made to the German author of Harry Potter - Good or Evil? - which criticises JK Rowling's stories.

Gabriele Kuby sent the German pontiff a copy of the book in 2003, when he was still a cardinal, and his replies have now been published.

"It is good that you enlighten people about Harry Potter, because these are subtle seductions which act unnoticed and by this deeply distort Christianity in the soul, before it can grow properly," he wrote.

He also thanked Kuby for her "instructive" book, in which she says the Potter series corrupts the hearts of the young, preventing them from developing a sense of good and evil.

In a second letter sent two months later, the Pope "gladly" gave his permission for Kuby to make his judgment public.

The Vatican had previously given the books an apparent seal of approval.

At a press conference in 2003, senior official, Father Peter Fleetwood, said he did not see any problem with the books.

"I don't think there's anyone in this room who grew up without fairies, magic and angels in their imaginary world," he said.

"They help children to see the difference between good and evil."

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince will be unveiled at midnight on July 16.

I have just been able to pull myself off the ground with laughter long enough to post it on here. :rotfl:

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    If I were the author I'd be tempted to get my own back with the next book - call it something like "Harry Potter and the magical condom" :D

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I'm not saying that JK Rowling isn't a great author, but does anyone believe all this "hype" ?

Just about every day this week we've heard about the new Harry Potter book being sold "illegally" somewhere or other. Are the distributors that stupid, or that clever ?

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,222
    Nick- as far as I am concerned its the greatest hype machine since Star Wars. He says as he is forced to wait in the house lest the postman comes whilst Mrs Tons isn't here to get her new book :(

5. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    It would be funny Games - if they werent serious. Religion, it's still stuck in the Dark ages....... :rolleyes:
    It does worry me that all these people queued all night for a flipping book! Sorry, I wouldn't queue allnight for anything!

6. joolsannamush

joolsannamush

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my copy of the new Harry Potter book this morning...those people who were prepared to queue payed for it, I got mine cheaper than them, hehe. :smashin:

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Actually i heard from "someone" in the know that as Authors go she is pretty useless and the first book went through many rewrites to get it translated into english and correct the hundreds of chronological and continuity erros J K Rowling (hmmmmmmm) had an idea, a good one, an adult with a childs imaginiation is very very rare person and creative thinking often rubbbished so i am not saying she hasnt worked hard, but i think refering her as the creator is more accurate than author...........................................

8. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I got mine about 5 mins ago from my sister...it's my birthday :D :thumbsup: !

9. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    happy birthday :)

10. MrBlofeldt

MrBlofeldt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    I used to think it was all a load of monkey poop... harry potter ? bunch of kid's books written buy a woman, who reads womens books...pffft...

Then I picked up the philosophers stone, and i couldn't put it down, I've since read all the others in the space of the last two months, and finished half blood prince this afternoon, fantastic, can't wait for no. 7

just goes to show how wrong you can be... eh ?