1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harry Potter Disc 1 problems

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by JohnH, May 16, 2002.

1. JohnH

JohnH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lots of people seem to be having problems with disk 2 but has anyone had problems with Disc 1?

My first copy used to freeze around the chapter 18 - chapter 19 transition. The picture would start to catch up with the sound and then the sound would start breaking up. Eventually it would lock my Wharfedale 750s player.

A cleaning disc didn't help.

A second copy started breaking up earlier in the disc. This one would go through chapter18-19 quite happily until quite a way through chapter 19 when blocking and freezing would start as before.

Read a few newsgroups and can find only one other person with similar problem on a Dansai? player.

2. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    A friend of mine has exactly the same problem.Sticking at the chapter 19 change.
    Can't remember the make of player but it's neither of what you've already mentioned
    Regards

3. jobyrne

jobyrne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar problem with disc 1 on my (almost brand new) Denon 2800. Not sure exactly where it started - a few intermittent freezes, chapters 24 through 29 were really bad (very broken up), then the rest of the disc was fine. Haven't tried disc 2 yet.

4. Laura

Laura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Tried my copy on Wednesday , and it breaks up around the end of chapter 2 , chapter 3.

Player is a Wharfedale 750s. Played ok on my PC though.

laura.

5. stephen wilson

stephen wilson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    My region 2 copy locks up on chapter 3 at 6:12 I use a pioneer 747 and it locks on this machine yet my cheap Pioneer I use in a different room plays this disc fine. Does anyone one else with a Pioneer 747 have problems with disc 1? I purchased this disc from Amazon U.K and am unsure wheter to return it as it plays fine on a different player. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Cheers, Steve.

6. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to Total DVD , harry potter 2nd disc is not working on cheapo dvd players. Not heard anything aboout disc one, but you could always email TOTAL DVD magazine, you might get Warner to repress the disc. This always seems to hapen with major DVD releases.!

7. wakelings

wakelings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Caught an item on CBBC's prog "Short Change" at weekend. Warner bros have released an updated DVD which provides all of features for those affected DVD players / console dvd players.
    There is a hotline number to ring, but i didnt take details as I dont have Harry Potter DVD. Should just be a case of sending in your duff DVD for a swap.
    Suggest you try the Short Change web site or contact Warner Bros.

8. wolfman

wolfman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Geoffc10,

Your quote from TotalDVD about only cheapo DVD players having a problem with bonus disk 2 is in turn a quote from an official Warner's press release.

Now, I've got a Pioneer DV-717 (enhanced by Techtronics) and I challenge any-one to call Pioneer DVD players with a model number of 5xx and above cheap. Their players usually top the charts in DVD hardware reviews securing 8/10 and 9/10.

Yes, you guessed it. My trusted Pioneer won't play the Harry Potter bonus disk and it doesn't matter whether it's R1 or R2. Apologies being slightly off topic (i.e. not disk 1, which plays just fine) but given Warner's attitude towards the disk 2 problem I thought I pass on my tuppence worth.

Anybody who cares to go through back copies of Total DVD will soon be able to guess what the real problem is. It's the heavy DVD-ROM content and its poor encoding that's to blame. Other disks with lots of DVD-ROM content have thrown up similar problem with DVD players, cheapo or otherwise.

To give you another clue as to what's happening. For R2 problems, Warner blames cheap or unbranded DVD players. In the US of A however, their press release cites a temporary production fault as the cause of the problem. The temporary production fault in turn was result of Warners trying to meet high consumer demand.

So, either way, instead of owning up, Warner Bros. play "pass the buck", blaming us the consumers one way or another.

Wolfman