Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone UHD Blu-ray Review & Comments

Discussion in '4K Ultra HD Blu-rays' started by Phil Hinton, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Simon Crust

Simon Crust
      Movies Review Co-ordinator

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,329
    2. Dixie4

Dixie4

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +514
      Thanks for the review, but hasn't this box set been out quite sometime now ? ( Not that you're up against time limits ! )

3. Lesmor

Lesmor
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,836
      I don't know why credit wasn't given to the child actors for sticking it out
      More times than not in TV and movies there is an actor change somewhere along the way
      Considering how young they all were I applaud the fact that they saw it through to the end

Mind you the money must have helped Lol

4. Kotatsu Neko

Kotatsu Neko

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +713
      Although this is certainly the weakest movie in the saga, it's also the one which sticks closest to the book. Very little was cut, unlike the later movies which to be frank, ran roughshod over the original work. The Half Blood Prince was in my opinion the best of the books, but the movie was verging on being a disaster. It turned the most plot heavy and darkest of the series into a slapstick.

I've watched all of these in 4K/fauxK via iTunes for what it's worth, and the first two are the only ones with much of a detail boost over the blu-ray. The later ones look very, very soft, and the extreme levels of black crush are unfortunately still in place. None of them come anywhere near to Fantastic Beasts on a visual level (although they all utterly destroy Beasts on a story front).

5. doug56hl

doug56hl
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,334
      As it turned the main three into multi millionaires I'd guess that had something to do with it.
      Probably contractually signed up to the whole series of movies as well.

"Daniel Radcliffe has made an estimated £74 million (equal to about $94 million, based on the current exchange rate) since taking on the eponymous role in the blockbuster “Harry Potter” franchise"

"When the production launched the project in 2000 with Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (2001), Radcliffe's fees were still relatively "modest" at $145,000. By the second installment, he had already increased to $3 million for Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002). This was then doubled to around $6 million in exchange for starring in the third film, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004). Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005) raised him to $11 million. By the fifth film Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007), Radcliffe's contract went up to a hefty $14 million. The final novel of the series, Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows (2007), was divided into a two-part m
      ovie adaptation released in 2010 and 2011, coming out to around $20 million each for Radcliffe.”

"By playing Ron Weasley in the films, Rupert earned a net worth of $50 million"

"Watson earned $60 million combined for the eight Harry Potter movies"

There were some actor changes with the more minor roles, the most noticeable being Bill Weasley. 11 Harry Potter Characters Who Were Replaced Between Movies

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    6. simonblue

simonblue
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,702
      Thanks for the review,watched the whole set a while back,they all looked great to me,the new DTSx tracks,are some of the best i have heard in this format :)

7. xxGBHxx

xxGBHxx

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +356
      Paid roughly $49,999,975 too much by my reckoning...

G

8. Mallardo

Mallardo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +296
      Grint was truly awful in the first few films (as were they all) but to be fair I think he did get a bit better as they went on. In general I think British child actors are pretty poor especially compared to US child actors.

9. dudeonline

dudeonline

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +177
      I've been impressed by the picture quality so far on these, but as with all 4K if you have to study the picture or have a side by side comparison.. is it worth it? ;) I'm on the 3rd film currently.. on a 65DX902. We are certainly no where near the difference DVD was when going to HD and in fact I've seen some adverts on non-4k channels look unbelievable (from a detail perspective) and better than my 4K disks.

10. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +236
      Have the set and it does get better - find it odd that review is of a single disc of an eight disc set, though.

It’s not the resolution that enhances things, it’s the HDR and wide colour gamut that really makes the difference.

11. Evinger

Evinger

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +128
      A good review, Simon. Just watched this on iTunes (99c rental per movie a few weeks ago). The iTunes version was in Dolby Vision (Looked Great, though the grain is quite strong in some scenes) & obviously I missed out on the DTS:X Soundtrack but it still sounds good. Glad you pointed out the Banding at the beginning when Hagrid is on his Bicycle - got worried for my TV's Panel for a moment there when watching :eek:
      Also, as you said, the CGI during the Quidditch Match is a little obvious. Still, was great to revisit this Movie.