1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Confucius, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Although I am familiar with the true defenition of 'Philosopher's Stone', I was wondering, not having read the book or seen the film, what the philosopher's stone of the title referred to?

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Its the philosopher's stone alright but in this case its not the solidified lump of pee from hallucinogenic herb ingesting cattle : at least they never say thats what it is.

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    why do the americans call it differently from us???

ad

4. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Seemingly, the meaning of the word 'philosophy' would be a) ambiguous :rolleyes: and b) offputting to US audiences :eek: (perhaps) less familiar with the Harry Potter series.

(I kid you not).

Perhaps Rachel can help out further on this one :D

5. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Because the studio thought that the word Philosopher might confuse or scare off the American audience. :D :D :D

So they changed it to the less brain-taxing title.

Sometimes the US sound like a really hilarious place. I just have images of everyone over there walking around in a daze, getting confused for half an hour at a time over the door that says pull, which won't open when they push.

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,006
    Often puzzled me is it the people over there, or the studio bosses not crediting them with there full intelligence. An other example is The Bond film Licence To Kill had to be changed from Licence Revoked.

:cool: Ruby quartz shades.

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Well the book itself was retitled also as the sorceror's stone well before the film was greenlit. Naturally they decided to follow the name set by the book in the US to avoid confusion.

the original reason to change the title from philosopher to sorceror was a marketting decision to avoid any confusion as to the book being aimed at children rather than dry students of philosophy. ( it being the first in the series)

Most american people I know are far more on the ball and a lot less cynical than their british peers.

8. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I was at school I studied English Lit for A Level, and one of our set texts was “The Alchemist” by Ben Johnson. This hilarious play concerns a couple of con artists, one of whom pretends to be an alchemist. Before studying the play our teacher gave us some historical context by discussing alchemy. Essentially alchemists as well as turning base metals into gold were also able to produce “the philosopher’s stone” this was a substance which would enable the user to gain eternal youth and/or immortality.

This is reflected in the book and film where Dumbledore’s colleage Nicholas Flamel (IIRC) was a noted user of the stone.

As for Sorcerer’s stone – well I have the American versions of all of the books but I’ll be buying the R4 DVD in order to get the “correct” title and avoid a snapper case!

9. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    It's very true. I think American the media and their marketing companies have a very low opinion of their own people, not usually borne out once you chat to them.

Though I do find it quite easy to 'wind up' our ex-colonial cousins (;)) due to their 'innocence'.