1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Gary D, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Watched "Harry" last night, much better than the first one. The soundtrack is great, very lively, and sets up a nice vivid soundstage - the quidittch match is much better sounding than the first one - things wizzing about all over the place. Picture was very clean, as you would expect, although nothing to write home about.

The extras disc is not quite as annoying as the first one but it doesn't really say much - if you get my drift. but i may be doing it a disservice as i only skimmed it.

Gary

2. Miles@9

Miles@9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, great sound track and excelant transfure to DVD. Very smooth on slow panning shots.

A word of warning, watch out for the bass! I don't think it's me, but I sure that the LFE is quite loud. Nearly lost a few windows last night. Luckly I've got friendly neighbours.

3. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I am getting the film tomorow from Safeway for £13.99. I saw the movie at the cinema and thought the sound was good and enjoyed the film thought i think i prefer the first one.

I have a RX-V396RDS amp
    NS-P210 yamaha speakers
    Sony NS900V

Will the sound still be good on this set up or do i have to spend thousands of pounds to get top quality sound. I mena can your ears really tell the diffrence from a £1000 system and a £3000 system.

I am not working at the moment but will upgrade when i get a job soon.

4. Repton

Repton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Hey how come you've got the DVD already???
    I thought it was on general release on Friday!

5. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Well, personally speaking mine is an imported Region 1 copy which I've had for almost two weeks now. That's one of the reasons lots of people buy region 1 disks, they are usually shipped to the UK before the US street date so you get the disk early.

6. Miles@9

Miles@9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crazzy Kopite

You don't have to go out and spend thousands of pounds to have a home cinama. Your off to a good start. Your DVD player is one that I wanted to get but could never find the right excuse for a new one. Over time you'll find a new amp or speekers that are bigger, better, and have more buttons. IMO that's how most poeple with full on set-ups get to where they are.

Keep your eye's open, there's lots of bargins to be had if you can do without the very latest equipment. Equipment prices can fall alot (30 - 50 %) in a matter of months.

Order your DVDs on the internet, usualy cheeper, and often with new releases being delivered just before the shops get them. You'll find loads of hot tips and good DVD sites as well as discounted equipment on the pages of this forum.

Miles.

7. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Thank you for the advice Miles. I have had my amp and speakers for about 2 years, been into dvd for about 3 years. When i first heard 5.1 sound it was amazing but after a few days you dont think anything of it. Sometimes you buy a film like xxx and you think the sound is amazing or film like the others the sound set up makes you jump but most of the time it comes of nothign new and you start to pick faults.
    I want a Denon 3802 amp with Kef egg speakers but i am out of work at the moment and will upgrade my pc from 1.4 athlon to 2.6 Barton in next few weeks. When i get a job i will save some money for new kit. I was just wandering if you had to spend a lot of money for a decent home cinema. I am quite happy with mine it is just it does not blow me away like it did when i first heard it.

My bedroom is only about 9ft by 9ft which is why i go for the smaller speakers. I buy off the internet 90% of the time and 88% of the time it is region 1. I prefer watching a film on my home cinema rather than go cinema. I will be picking up my copy of harry Potter tomorow. I was going to buy of future entertainment but the price has gone up to £15.99 from £13.99.

8. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I bought the film this morning for £13.95. I went Northampton and saw Game are doing 2 films for £25 which includes Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets, spiderman, dog soldiers bourne identity xxx and a few other latest titles.

9. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Fell asleep several times, and it was mid afternoon! Are these child actors relatives of the film makers, because they are useless? You can imagine them being told at their acting school 'you must show the emotion'!

I love kids stuff, or should I say I love stuff that brings out the kid in us, but this was a dull film IMO. The inclusion of great actors like Alan Rickman and Kenneth Branagh only emphasises how bad the kids are.

Technical stuff was spot on (sound, picture etc.)