1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harrods

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by AVWotcha, Sep 19, 2003.

1. AVWotcha

AVWotcha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went into Harrods the other day and had a quick browse round the plasma section.

I was quite supprised to find that most of the 42" plasmas didn't look that great. Now I didn't at the time have much of a poke about to see how they were all connected but I would have guessed that Harrods would hook them up fairly well. One of the best I saw was an el-cheapo low res Panasonic.

They also had some Sony's which were hooked up to a DVD player but the movie they had on wasn't so good for showing off picture quality.

Of course the best screen they had in the shop was a 42" B&O plasma playing LOTR:TTT Best picture I've ever seen on a plasma, clear, crips, fantastic colour etc.... £12,000 !!! :eek:

Do you think Harrods would be showing their screens off to the best of their ability ? Or are they just as bad as comet/currys feeding them crappy composit video ?

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Highly likely they know nothing.

3. /\/\j17

/\/\j17
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While hunting for a Pioneer 433 and a Panasonic 42 sat side by side I also took the nightmare mystery tour that is trying to actually find anything in Harrods.

I did eventually find the TV section (after following signs pointing to the wrong floor and in the wrong direction...) and have to agree - they have generally cabled up their plasmas using toffee and not wire.

From memory, and experience (I've now seen a lot of badly connected plasmas from people who think the best way to sell them is to demo the worst possible picture - no I don't get it either) I would say they had the following when I visited.

Sony - seperate section and generally hooked up quite well. Probably RGB and as it was a seperate section for Sony kit possible set up by Sony staff.

B&O - set up very well in another seperate section, but due to store layout you could not see the screens unless you were 3' away from them (not very realistic).

Fujitsu - hung from ceiling (so no good what so ever for viewing) but hooked up well.

The rest.... well varied. For example:

Pioneer
    50" - not too bad, probably s-video or RGB
    43" - apauling, definetly composite.

From what I can tell in Harrods it's badly set up if it
    a) isn't set up by someone else (like Sony)
    b) doesn't have a whopping price tag and bigger profit margin.

4. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Harrods have set up their plasmas poorly, but it's still great place to visit and drool!!!:D

Anyone going soon, I'd say check out the obvious burn-in (if it's still there) on the Samsung 40" LCD and look at the incredible images of the Loewe TVs in the Linn department (yes, yes I know it's CRT but they beat any 32 inch plasma or LCD hands down!).