Harriet Harman says the Labour Party ruins voters' lives

Steven

Senior Moderator
For me Labour drip feeding random admissions of "mistakes" made under the Blair and Brown Premierships do not come across as sincere. Rather typical opposition opportunism. The current main opposition also still has too much of an air linking with the defeated government to look attractive (see Harman and the shadow chancellor). As a floating voter if an election was held tomorrow it would be an abstention or a freebie to the Green party!

bosque

Novice Member
This is small stuff though. Insignificant and unlikely to cause any political waves.
As Harriet says: "I got the most heartrending letters and emails and calls that I've ever had in 30 years of being an MP, just saying 'Please do something about this. It's ruined my life, it's ruined my family, it's really dangerous and the problem is it's getting worse and that's why we need the law to be changed so that something can be done about it."

Might be quite "big stuff" to these individuals.

MikeTV

I am sure if you asked Harriet Harman, she would never say "the Labour Party ruins voters' lives", as you say. Quite the opposite, I expect.

She is actually saying that changes in gaming legislation has ruined lives, which is almost certainly true. We should be applauding her integrity and for acknowledging it publicly.

bosque

Novice Member
She is actually saying that changes in gaming legislation has ruined lives, which is almost certainly true. We should be applauding her integrity and for acknowledging it publicly.
You should always add a smiley face when you're being ironic otherwise people will think you believe that.

karkus30

Banned
bosque said:
As Harriet says: "I got the most heartrending letters and emails and calls that I've ever had in 30 years of being an MP, just saying 'Please do something about this. It's ruined my life, it's ruined my family, it's really dangerous and the problem is it's getting worse and that's why we need the law to be changed so that something can be done about it."

Just because a few people cant control themselves doesn't mean that they should stop gambling. No doubt there are many gamblers who do so responsibly.

domtheone

Distinguished Member

EarthRod

Distinguished Member

I was referring to the political line the person in question was taking.

As I said: unlikely to cause any political waves.

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
she is considered a bit of an obsessive nannying nutter within the party, one who wishes to criminilise men who wish to pay for sex and considers all the prostitutes to be victims

Dingo

Just because a few people cant control themselves doesn't mean that they should stop gambling.
And here's me thinking we hadn't forgiven the banks yet!!:)

Always amazes me that the same people we elect to power to run the country should have such short memories.....

Tessa Jowell: We are protecting gamblers, not bringing misery and despair | Comment is free | The Observer

.....because in 2007 this was Tessa Jowell's article with regards to the new legislation and there were some very telling phrases in that piece above. To my mind when they are in Government it's "allegedly" done for our own good and has nothing to do with increasing tax revenues:rolleyes:.......only when they become the opposition can they see the error of their ways!!:lesson::facepalm:.

To be honest it's about time we the public wised up and refuse to put anyone who wants to be a politician anywhere near a seat of power........unless of course it's plugged into a mains somewhere!!:devil::)

karkus30

Banned
Dingo said:
To be honest it's about time we the public wised up and refuse to put anyone who wants to be a politician anywhere near a seat of power........unless of course it's plugged into a mains somewhere!!:devil::)
I don't blame banks for gambling, I blame Government for making them so well protected that they no longer care what the risks are because they know they will get bailed out whatever happens.
The less Government the better.