Harperbury Abandoned Hospital

roll1later

Prominent Member
Reaction score
It has been known as Harperbury Hospital for 61 years and has been a fixture of the area's mental health scene since 1928. It had two sister institutions, Shenley Hospital and Napsbury Hospital, within a few miles of its location.

By the 1990s plans were in the works to close the Shenley, Napsbury and Harperbury hospitals. Patients were moved out of all three that decade. However, in 1995 and 1998 Harperbury got a temporary influx of patients coming from two other institutions that were closed. By late 2001 Harperbury had only about 200 patients and Harperbury was officially considered closed.

The scaling down at Harperbury resulted in many of the old hospital's buildings becoming abandoned.

More details here

_DSC4322 by Roll, on Flickr

_DSC4342 by Roll, on Flickr

_DSC4438 by Roll, on Flickr

_DSC4430 by Roll, on Flickr

_DSC4425 by Roll, on Flickr

_DSC4418 by Roll, on Flickr

_DSC4357 by Roll, on Flickr

I'll post a link to some others once they finish uploading :)

Last edited:
So grim and disturbing from several perspectives....

...especially for R1L who has to live there.... ;)

Great set.
Not sure if you have been on 28dayslater but have a google

Great set, love these kinds of things. First one is particularly good, with a bit of gritty processing it could be an advertising pic for a horror film.

Great set.
Not sure if you have been on 28dayslater but have a google

Thanks Delvey 28 days later is a good site, among others, and there's some great pics on there too, I'm not a member but do visit occasionally.

"Meh" ;)

It wasn't at all bad during the day tbh but I would imagine it would be a very different story at night, I don't think I want to confirm it though :rolleyes:

It wasn't at all bad during the day tbh but I would imagine it would be a very different story at night, I don't think I want to confirm it though :rolleyes:
Wuss :devil:

Ha ha this from the man who can't even take a picture of a stranger
:D:laugh::p
Of course, that's far more scary :eek: :p

No probs spending a night in a place like that with Zombies and insane people, taking pics of strangers in my local area on the other hand....... ;)

I've converted a couple to BW but as mentioned before, in another thread, I'm never happy with my BW processing, agreed though with the right skills I think some could work really well with a gritty BW conversion. I'll do some YouTube trawling and see if I can pick up some pointers :blush:

Nope - works quite well for me :)

I'd be tempted to go even grittier tbh, something like this (YMMV)

24903867579_493803de57_o_zpsnibrkp5n.jpg

Hope you don't mind me trashing your pic, will remove if you like?

Last edited:
I don't mind at all Snerks, it's good to see other peoples interpretation. It's hard to judge how far to push things really, I had a much heavier 'gritted' version which I thought was too much so decided to reign it back a bit, was still unsure if it was too much. Personal taste I suppose.

I had to google YMMV :thumbsdow :)

I don't mind at all Snerks, it's good to see other peoples interpretation. It's hard to judge how far to push things really, I had a much heavier 'gritted' version which I thought was too much so decided to reign it back a bit, was still unsure if it was too much. Personal taste I suppose.
Exactly right. When you start going down the more extreme side of processing it does very much become a marmite thing.

I had to google YMMV :thumbsdow :)
:laugh:

I'd be tempted to go even grittier tbh, something like this (YMMV)

24903867579_493803de57_o-2_zps79jrgqir.jpg

Hope you don't mind me trashing your pic, will remove if you like?

Too dark IMO - maybe better with a bit of a dark Vignette added instead ? ;)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom