1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harmony V Pronto for ease of set up?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Ged, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I have had a Pronto for 5 years, tried the PC set up but never totally figured it out, mostly using it to re-label buttons then teaching the remote the code.
    Not having much patience to learn the fancy edit techniques, I left it like that.

After a few more purchases and room swaps, the bulk of the original remotes are back out to cover the odd button still not programmed.

I have just bought a Kameleon six for another room and downloaded codes, it works quite well, but no button relabels.

So, I would like to ask, would the Harmony ?885 be easier to set up than a Pronto? I hope it would just load the device code and cover all it's functions rather than re assigning buttons? For example, I have a Panasonic HS2 HDD/DVDR, does it replicate all of the functions or just the major ones such as power?

2. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi
    The 885 will replicate just about any command but you might need some patience to get it all working together. I had a Pronto and I have both 655 and 885 would not say either is easy to set up; but depends on complexity of set up and personal taste.
    In use I do think the harmonies are far more practical and they look like remotes.

Richard

3. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks Richard,

I have had a further attempt with ccf codes and it still is not sinking in trying to mix and match to achieve one complete file.

Regarding the Harmony, from what I have read, you connect it to the PC connect to logitech and download the codes/files for equipment. Are these codes assigned to generic buttons which need tayloring to suit the specific device, or if you download an usual device it will match all the unusual stuff?

Sorry to be a pain, I just want a remote which is easy to update if I buy or move kit around, which I do often, making the pronto a bit of a pain.

Thanks.

4. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
  5. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi Ged

Your description is correct. This offers a teat drive; have not used it myself but might give you a better idea.
    The Harmony's have a combination of dedicated buttons; numeric keypad, transport buttons; left, right, up, down, etc and then 6 or 8 eight hard buttons around a screen (not a touch screen) which means you can customise labels on the screen for the buttons. You can scroll through different pages on the screen if you need more controls.
    The commands are logically ascribed to the different type of buttons by the software, but you can change them if you want to do different things.
    They also have activity buttons; like 'Watch TV' which basically runs a macro which sets up your different equipment; e.g. TV; STB; Amp/s etc to do whatever it is. The dedicated and the screen buttons then get set to whatever is right for watching TV. They will automatically change to your DVD remote codes if you press 'Watch a Movie'.
    There is also a device mode so that you just get the commands for one of your bits of kit.

I can only say I love them; and hated the Pronto after a while; but some people just do not get on with the Harmony either so I am not actually recommending it to you one way or the other. :)

Richard

Edit My post and jaymz's crossed; so saying same things.

6. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks,

Took the plunge and ordered one, pick it up tomorrow, did the set up and it looks cool, far better than expected, liked all the choices, only problem was bailing out at the end due to no remote, I hope it has saved it for tomorrow.

Looks like the pronto may join the others in the box/on the shelf!

7. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Had the 885 for an hour, this is the mutt's nuts! I have downloaded the set up but a few things are wrong, no audio control on devices or correct plasma input changing.
    From downloading to first attempt this is miles easier than using my pronto, even if I didn't fix these problems.

8. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Glad you like it Ged despite the problems; TV input selection is usually my main problem but audio control is usually fairly trouble free. Check your answer to the how do you control the volume question in the activity setup (or something like that). You may have to delve into the troubleshooting menu or just ring up the logotech help line and get them to sort it. Not used them myself (too stuborn) but hear that they are very good.

Good Luck Richard

9. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I have had more problems actually downloading from the website! Restarted the PC and it worked again.

Just presented it to her indoors, looks like the pronto will be staying, my feeling is that when you are beyond TV/VCR systems you are stuffed anyway!

I like it, it works how I wished the pronto would have done. I have seen various links to channel logos, would this make more pages in devices and if I use Sky do I assign channels as BBC the number 101?

Lastly, if there are any 885 specific forum/websites for more info would someone please post a link?

Thanks,

Ged

10. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Try the harmony forum at http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-harmony/list.cgi

(The 885 is sold as the 880 in the USA - just in case you're initially confused when you view the threads).

Have you had any problems with the charging cradle? Many people have reported that the remote doesn't sit properly against the contacts in the cradle and therefore doesn't always charge. I'm hoping that latest batches may have been improved in this area.

Dave

11. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    The one I got from Dabs last week charges fine. Perhaps it was just a faulty batch.

Richard

12. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Rocking it around will cause problems but it does tend to sit well enough with some allowed movement.