Harmony TV channel changing problem

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Michaelknell, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Michaelknell

Michaelknell
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Having a few probs with my 885. It's basically switchhing betweeen TV modes I'm struggling with. If I press 'play 360' the remote turns on the console and amp fine, but it turns the TV onto the wrong channel. I also have a setting for turning ony my amp and TV to the right channels for my PC. The amp works fine but the TV input selected can go wrong. It's like my TV is overriding the remote, so that when it finds the first input that is working, it is happy there and stays there.

2. thul

thul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry you are not getting any help from me but a similar complaint.I also bought the 885. My TV has 3 AV inputs. If I press " Play DVD " it switches on the AVR, TV and DVD player, but may chooses the wrong AV channel on the TV. I then have to select video channel manually. Going back to " Play TV" may also be a hit-n-miss instruction. I have reset the remote twice already, with no success. For the other instructions it seem to work predictably.

3. steve12

steve12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Have you tried preesing the Help button when this happens. As the remote should change the channel for you until it finds the right one and then all you do is selrct everything is ok when it's on the right channel. Hope this helps.

4. hutch

hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
    Mine does the same, total pain in the rear.

The help button does change the channel back but thats one more button than I want to be pressing :nono:

5. Michaelknell

Michaelknell
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Help does the same for me too.

6. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Input switching can be a real problem with some TV brands - Panasonic are particularly bad. Most problems can be fixed if you persevere.

First thing to do is to disable "scart control" on you TV and/or source components. Scart control uses a signal on one of the wires (pin 8, IIRC) to switch the TV to that input when it detects that a source component is first turned on. If the Harmony sends a "next input" command AFTER the TV has already been forced to the correct input by scart control, you will always end up on the wrong input.
    Alternatively, if all your sources support scart control, just use that, and tell the Harmony not to switch inputs at all.

This will likely solve many problems, as scart is only used in Europe, so the Harmony programmers don't take it into account.

If you still have problems, following the help screens on the PC setup software will allow you to tailor the input selections exactly to your TV. The relevant section is called something like "my TV always switches to the wrong input".

If you're still stuck, post back with your TV model and the inputs you are using. Someone here should be able to help.

If you've got a Panasonic TV (which uses a weird 2-level input selection system) you might be disappointed. Any other make should be fixable.

7. hutch

hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
    ive got a panny :(

not too bothered at the moment as i've really bought the 885 to go with my new setup i'll be getting at the end of the year, including a Fujitsu 58 :thumbsup:

8. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    My parents have got an old Panasonic CRT TV in one room, and a Toshiba "picture frame" in the other. I tried to set up a 525 to work with both systems. The Toshiba worked no problem, the Panny caused me so much grief that I gave up and used scart control for their Sky box and Humax PVR.

There have been several posts here about using a Harmony with a Panny - try the ideas in them, and they may work for you.

9. Michaelknell

Michaelknell
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've got an Acer AT3201W but I can't find out how to turn off scart control.

10. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    If you don't have an option on the TV or on the source device, you can just snip the wire to pin 8 at one end, inside the scart plug.

11. Michaelknell

Michaelknell
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Is it definatley the scart that will be causing the problem then?

12. OCukScoobyDoo

OCukScoobyDoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Input switching is a real problem on LG's aswell. I telephoned logitech support who eventually sorted it out and got it to work, took them lots of trial and errors but they were very very helpful and never gave up.

13. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    To find out whether scart control is causing your problem, you need to see if it's actually active. Try this:

Turn everything off.
    Turn on your TV, using the original remote. Make sure it's on an analogue or freeview TV channel, that is, you're watching the tuner built into the TV.
    Turn on one of your devices (DVD, PVR, Sky, etc.), again using the original remote.

Does your TV switch automatically to the input for the device you've just switched on?

Turn another device on. Does your TV switch to that one automatically?

If your TV switches automatically, then scart control is active for that device.

Scart control will almost certainly mess up your Harmony. Either let scart control handle the TV input switching for that device, or disable it, and let the Harmony do the switching. Obviously, scart control only works with devices that are connected with a scart cable!

14. Michaelknell

Michaelknell
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I only have my Sky box connected via scart and it does have scart control. Can't seem to turn the bloody thing off

15. thul

thul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now the Help button is no longer working. I don't know if it is a mechanical fault or did I switch the function off accidentally. So I have brought back the TV remote until I get this back to the shop. This Harmony is becoming a real dissapointment.

16. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Sorry to hear about that. There are a few things which are sure to upset any universal remote and source switching on TVs is one of them.

Basically, you have the complicating factor of SCART switching 'taking over' the source selection when the device is switched on. Plus, not all TV sets have 'discrete input selections' ie. You can't tell them to switch directly to a particular video souce with a remote command, you must cycle through inputs or select from an onscreen menu.

If you're happy to let source switching from the SCART do it's thing, I'm pretty sure there's an option in the config screens on the website to have the Harmony not switch inputs on the TV. Other than that, you'll have to see if there are discrete input codes available.

When I had a similar problem with my Samsung LCD screen, it was lucky that someone had made discrete input codes available for most of the video sources. Sometimes they may not be on the website but the support hotline can assign them. Try giving them a call.

Gav

17. thul

thul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do not have any scart connection. In South Africa, only now are we seeing components with scart due to parallel importing AV shops. Anyway, the Help button does work! that is if I use a two thumbs, one pressing on top of the other. Sometime I fear the key might cut my skin.:smashin: ( that is what my thumb looks like lately, and my face looking just as blue, only unsmiling)