Harmony Touch Panasonic st50b Tv

william lloyd

Standard Member
Reaction score
My system is Panasonic TX-P42ST50B TV, Yamaha RX-V2700 Receiver, Panasonic DMP-BDT220 DVD, Humax Foxsat-HDR and Roku LT Streamer.
I would like help or advice with this problem. Logitech support have been looking into this problem since 14th March and have not solved it.
The Harmony control switches from TV to the Humax set to HDMI1 OK and all works fine, but when asked to switch back to TV the TV first goes to TV set to DVB but then goes back to HDMI1.
The TV connected via aerial with an optical sound lead to the Yamaha input CD
The Humax connected to the Yamaha via HDMI input DTV, and to the TV via HDMI out from the Yamaha to HDMI1 in on the TV
The DVD is connected to the TV via HDMI to HDMI2 and via optical sound to the Yamaha input DVD
The Yamaha is used as a Hub.
Any advice please?
William

Hi, the problem is with the TV, not the Touch. Unfortunately, Panasonics will switch automatically to HDMI1 if they so much as sniff at any activity on that input. My own TV - a TX-P50UT50B - was switching occasionally to my Blu-Ray player which was connected to that input, even if it was in Standby. Like you, it drove me mad, and for a while I thought it was something weird the Touch was doing (after all, it does plenty of weird things!)

The solution is not to use HDMI 1 on the TV at all, if that's possible. Do you have enough HDMIs on the Yamaha to route everything through it, and only connect it to the TV on HDMI2? I've done this with my setup, and it's completely solved the problem.

Panasonic deserve a kick up the **** for this!

You are 100% right. I had the same problem with my TX-P50GT50B always wanting to go to HDMI1 input until I changed the input from my Yamaha receiver to HDMI2 on the TV and the problem disappeared. :smashin:

Cheers,

Martin.

Last edited by a moderator:
The DVD is connected to the TV via HDMI to HDMI2
Presumably one solution is to connect that to HDMI1 instead, and Yamaha to HDMI2?
Better though, put everything through the Yamaha as MB said, or doesn't it have enough inputs?

Have you turned Viera Link on the TV off? This should stop the TV switching to HDMI1 when not required.

You need to turn the equivelant technology off the bluray as well. Different companies call it different things but its all based around the HDMI CEC protocol.

Sorry misread, turn off on the Foxsat as well.

Have you turned Viera Link on the TV off? This should stop the TV switching to HDMI1 when not required.

I tried that when I had the same problem but it didn't work for me. As I said previously, I had to change my input to HDMI2.

Cheers,

Martin.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, nothing will stop my Panasonic from switching to HDMI1. I have Viera Link off, I even found my way into Hotel Mode and changed the switch-on default to HDMI2, but to no avail. It is simply poor design by them, I'm afraid.

Some people may think quite the opposite, that's it's a useful feature.
It's easily overcome anyway, by a change in what's connected which way.

Thanks for all the help.
After 14 days of help from the two levels at Harmony we all came to the conclusion that the Harmony Touch could not control my system as it should.
During that time I had changed the inputs and no longer used HDMI1.
I could not put all the inputs through the Yamaha because it cannot pass 3D information.
I then tried my old Harmony 555 and everything worked just as it should first time every time.
I asked the second stage agent I was in touch with which of the current controls worked like the 555. He suggested I try a Harmony 650.
I returned the Harmony Touch to Currys with the story of my problems who refunded my money. I then purchased the Harmony 650.
Followed the login instructions My Harmony web site entered all the required information and low and behold the 650 did not work, same as the Harmony Touch.
Back to Harmony help. Explained the 555 worked the 650 did not asked why.
I asked if the Harmony 650 would work by loading to the old Logitech web site as the Harmony 555. Yes it works with both sites.
After setting the Harmony 650 up on the older system everything worked great.
There is no problem with the Panasonic TV all my problems were with the Harmony Touch and Logitechs new system.
A final word about Logitech Harmony help.
The first level is was great some of the best I have ever had.
The second level I had issues with. After 14 days I told the issues could not be done over the phone and had to be by e-mail I was not happy and said so!!! It was then back to the phone.
William

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no problem with the Panasonic TV all my problems were with the Harmony Touch and Logitechs new system.
compare
Hi, the problem is with the TV, not the Touch.
The solution is not to use HDMI 1 on the TV at all, if that's possible.
I've done this with my setup, and it's completely solved the problem.
Panasonic deserve a kick up the **** for this!
with which mjcairney agreed, from experience.

There's no logic in the idea that the Touch can't do something properly that the others can do.

Last edited:
There's no logic in the idea that the Touch can't do something properly that the others can do.

Yes, I agree. William, I'll be interested to know if your experience with the 650 continues to be positive.

In the final configuration although I had no input on HDMI 1 but used HDMI2 and HDMI3 the Touch would not turn from HDMI2 or HDMI3 back to TV but always stayed on HDMI and would only go to TV through the aid of help.
The Harmony 650 works in my same con figuration without fault, if the 650 works and the Touch fails explain why?
The only change being the Touch and its software. The TV has not changed.
William

It sounds like there is an error on the discrete input for TV on the latest database. Does your original remote have a dedicated TV buton that switches you back to the internal tuner? If so you can relearn over the incorrect code.

no input on HDMI 1 but used HDMI2 and HDMI3 the Touch would not turn from HDMI2 or HDMI3 back to TV but always stayed on HDMI
That's the same HDMI, 2 or 3 as the case might be?
Then the command for going back to TV must be wrong - different on the myharmony database from the normal one.

In the case of the Touch control in a HDMI input and switching back to TV the remote did at first go to DVB but then in all cases switched straight HDMI
William

And with another Harmony, set up in the normal procedure, that doesn't happen?
Then the myharmony database is the source of the problem, as Logitech support should have realised, and fixed.

I agree I also think that, my 650 when setup using the MY Harmony data base did not work as it should.
By changing the data base to the original Harmony data base it works without fault.
It is my understanding Harmony support have asked their engineers to look into why that is.
William

That's good - if they don't get back to you, get back to them - and report back here.:)
Myharmony was originally set up for the 300 which is hardly a Harmony at all, and it had a database - the file of commands listed by device - far smaller than the normal one, but since they started adding other models to it they haven't said whether they've made the base any better.

Just relearn the TV input code as advised earlier. It looks like we are all pointing to it being the same problem.

Here I am one week later. If the object on a remote control the like of the Harmony ones is to control your complete system first time every time then that is what my Harmony 650 does. I am pleased I returned the Touch control to my supplier.
From my experience the problems I had with the Touch control were not the fault of the control but a fault with the data base.
William

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom