Harmony switching activites issue

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by madfiddler, Feb 8, 2009.

1. madfiddler

madfiddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    hi I have my harmony now set-up just how I want and am well pleased with it. I got the 885

anyway, there is one minor thing I don;t seem to be able to fix.

when switching activities from "whatch sky+hd" to "play xbox 360" my sky box refuses to switch off as it should.

I have the remote set to switch off unused devices for an activity and the sky box is not in the "play xbox 360" activity, so what's going on? anyone got any bright ideas.

The sky box will switch off when I press the "off" button on the remote when I am in the "watch sky+hd" activity, or if I use the device "power toggle" option no probs at all.

2. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    When you set up the Sky HD device, what power option did you pick - "one button to power on and off", or "separate power on and power off buttons"?

I'm guessing that you picked the separate button option, but the commands it is using don't actually work properly. IIRC, when I set up my Sky HD, it listed separate buttons, but the "power off" didn't work. Not sure where these codes came from, as Sky boxes don't have discrete power codes - I think that they must be macros that don't work properly.

Change your device setup to use "power toggle" and see if that helps.

Another possibility is that the inter-device or inter-key delay is set too low, so the commands are getting garbled. Try increasing the delays.

Third possibility is you are using a Samsung Sky HD box. The remote receiver on this isn't very good. Adding a magic eye improves things.

3. madfiddler

madfiddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    thanks for the suggestions

however I'm not sure any of them apply

first off, independently of the activity switching, "power off" and "power toggle" work OK for the sky box

re. inter-device delay, it all works swimmingly with other devices and why should it actually matter anyway since actually the sky box and 360 are not dependent upon one another in anyway at all? Even if the "sky off" and "360 on" commands came 0ms apart it should not make a difference.

I have a thompson sk+hd box btw

cheers
    mf

4. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    I've had similar problems recently due to a change in equipment. The only way I could get the device to switch off was to delete the activity that wasn't switching the device off and start from fresh. The new activity had exactly the same configuration as the deleted activity.

If you have been making numerous changes to activities it is possible that the software has become corrupted in some way. In doesn't make much sense but it worked for me.

5. madfiddler

madfiddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73

did you remove the activity or the device or both?

thanks
    mf

6. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    The "power off" might work OK in device mode, but it's not a true discrete code - plenty of posts on various forums from people looking for discrete Sky power codes. AFAIK, none have been found.
    Most likely it's a custom pseudo discrete, made from 2 commands, probably "Sky" and "power toggle". This will turn the box on, then off.
    The idea is that it puts the box into a known state ("Sky" switches it on, but not off), then toggles it off.

This pseudo discrete may not work properly when switching activities.

Have you tried configuring the Sky device to use power toggle? IIRC, you can change it by following the troubleshooting/device doesn't respond correctly path.

7. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    I just deleted the activity. Other activities would turn the problem device off without an issue. I take it that all devices switch off OK when you use the main power off button.

As Clockwork said your Sky box must be in a know state for it to switch off correctly. Easiest way to check is to make sure the devices for the Sky activity are correctly switched on and then cover the IR part of the remote and use the "help" button so it knows it is the correct state.

8. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    I'd go with deleting and re-creating the activty. Despite how good the Harmony software is sometimes little bugs like this just won't clear without re-creating the activity.

I had a problem the other day with an activity to watch TV with volume control via my Onkyo amp; the harmony software showed that it was setup to control volume through the amp but as soon as you started the activity the volume buttons on the rmote controlled the TV volume. I checked it and played around with it for hours but couldn't get volume control through the amp to work.

Deleted the activity and set it up again exactly as before and it worked first time :rolleyes:

9. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    If that happens again just look in Customise Buttons to see which Device is assigned to the volume buttons!

10. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    The AMP was set to volume control in the activity. I checked and double checked ;)

But as soon as i fired up the activity the remote controlled the TV volume . I went right through the setup process several times. Was very Odd but like i said, deleted it and recreated it and it worked fine. :confused: