Harmony remotes without "activities"

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Howard0000, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Hi all,

Been searching for a remote to replace my rather limited OFA Mosaic. How good are the Harmonys (525, 555 specifically) if you don't want to use the activities, and just the devices with options on the lCD, etc? Is it quite versatile in that respect?

2. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    It'll work fine in device mode, with one exception - no macros.
    Harmonys use activities instead of macros. Any reason why you don't want to use activities?

3. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Just don't feel I'll need them.. Wasn't ever a big fan of macros, Maybe I'll use like one activity to turn everything on but that's it ;) My TV doesn't have discreet input selection, so there'd still be some button stabbing ;)

I just wondered how well they work in simple "device" mode, i.e switch to TV and do stuff like inputs, aspect ratio, menus, switch to DVD and do all that, switch to amp / receiver, and have like a button on each device that controls my lights, etc :)

The Harmonys look like the only decent, reasonably priced remote I can find that have a decent amount of hard buttons and a decent LCD. I'd like a Pronto but they're a bit dear.

Is there any major advantage of the 555 over the 525?

4. captain747480

captain747480

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Have you checked the Harmony test drive for your TV. Although there may not be any discreet input selection on your original remote you may find that there are on the Harmony database.

5. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Have I done what now?

6. czzer

czzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    If you don't want to use activities, then don't buy a Harmony. You'd be better off with a cheap One For All. They are designed from the ground up as an activity based remote, and are not designed to be used in device mode except for rare occasions.

That being said, once you try an activity based remote, you'll wonder how you ever did without one. Activity based is far superior to device based once you get used to it(and it doesn't take long).

The Harmony will handle your input switching even if you don't have discretes. It has "Smart State" which keeps track of the currently selected input, and knows how many "Input toggle" commands to send to get to the input required when you change activities.

7. Howard0000

Howard0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I've just had a play with the "test drive" feature, having found it after installing the software, and it had codes for all my equipment! Quite impressive. I might be tempted to use the Activities after all, even if not all the time.

None of the Oneforalls are versatile enough for my equipment.. my Mosaic, despite having about 95% of it's memory free, refuses to let me learn any more commands, which is ridiculous.

Prontos are too expensive, and these Harmonys look ideal

8. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have just bought a third Harmony, this one being the cheaper 525 for controlling a TV and DVD in the bedroom.
    The other two are working well and any input problems can be worked around. What I am having problems with is the "watch DVD" activity.
    The remote asks for the input to switch to but the TV auto switches anyway. This means the input is never right as it is cycling through the list.
    I could cope with no activities for the two devices as it is mostly watching TV.
    I would like advice on the input problem, my Panasonic plasma has a PC INPUT button and an INPUT button on all activities, this then can bring up the correct input. I am sure this can be done again, but as there is only one input component (DVD) and approx 9 inputs (TV), it's a bit of a faff.

9. Ceejayav

Ceejayav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Not 100% sure I understand the problem, but have you tried telling the harmony that for this activity you don't need to select the input on the TV?

10. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Can you do this, if so how?

11. bravogolf

bravogolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    If I remember correctly this is selected during the setting up activity steps :smashin: Perhaps run through it again?

12. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,717
    and if that doesnt work do what I did and set up a dummy input on your TV device that does nothing. Then during the activiy setup set the TV to the dummy input

13. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,496
    I had this problem too, its very common. There are a couple of workarounds, but basically i just told the harmony software that the DVD activity needed to set to the TV input (the same as the Watch TV activity). Therefore it would not try and change the input and let the TV auto switch to the SCART (DVD) input.

14. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi!

I'm thinking about purchasing this remote also and have one question about the activites. I have 2 DVD players, a Plasma and a Projector. I sometimes use the DVD player "A" with the plasma for movies, and sometimes I use DVD player "B". With the projector is the same thing. Can I cope this with the activities on the 525?

Thanks for your help,

NS

15. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,496
    No problem. The only downside i can see is if the projector has a remote the IR signal might have problems reaching the projector if it behind you.

I even have different activities for the same devices. For example, i have a 'Play CD' and 'Watch DVD' activity. Both use the DVD player, the only difference is that when i select 'Play CD' the TV is switched off.

16. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

The PJ is indeed behind me but none of my remotes ever had any problems reaching it, therefore I hope the 525 wont have problems also. When selecting an activity, which device stays by default assigned to the keys on the remote ? I presume you can choose, right?

My current universal remote changes quickly between having its keys assigned to one device to another (one click away), which is handy when for example you are calibrating the projector and need to change tracks on the DVD and change the settings on the PJ back and forward. Is this straighforward with the 525?

NS

17. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,496
    You can customise it to your hearts content. For example, when in PVR activity all the hard buttons (play, rew, rec, etc) control my PVR, with the exemption that the volume keys are set to control the TV's volume. You can also have customised soft keys on the LCD for the buttons the remote does not have.

As well as activities, you also have a 'device' mode button, so you can quickly control a device without leaving the current activity - i.e. for changing amp setting etc.

18. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you. That's what I wanted to hear :clap:

NS