Harmony remote and Media Centre PC

abraxus

Hi, I have a Harmony 360 which I use to control my Xbox 360 and the Media Centre Functions on my PC. However I wanted to also assign a few keyboard shortcuts.

Does anyone know if there is anywhere on the Harmony set up to assign PC keyboard keys or would I need to buy an IR keyboard that works with the MCE receiver to "teach" the remote?

Many thanks.

abraxus

Thanks, I've had a look at the link you kindly posted but am not quite sure how it works.

For example, could I use this to assign a button on the remote to represent pressing the F1 key for example?

Also how would I get the commands onto the Harmony remote?

Thanks again.

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
you would need the a remote to teach the IR command to the harmony or if you can get the HEX you can email tech support and they will add it to your profile as a custom button on the LCD screen labeleld F1 or similar

abraxus

Thanks Horneydragon. When you say the remote, do you mean the MCE remote? I have one of these, but how would I get the command into that?

I'm think of getting a MCE IR keyboard that works with the MCE receiver, would I be able to point this at the Harmony to teach it key presses?

dolph

you would need the a remote to teach the IR command to the harmony or if you can get the HEX you can email tech support and they will add it to your profile as a custom button on the LCD screen labeleld F1 or similar

Actually - as long as the Harmony is sending out a "signal" the MCE receiver can recognise (not necessarily an actual MCE remote command), HIP can recognise this and any custom keyboard (or indeed other) command can be set.

For example my Kameleon will not work with the MCE receiver as it doesn't have the MCE codes built in, however using HIP I can customly set any commands I want to any keyboard instruction (HIP can also be taught to run programs etc). The instructions can be set program by program or globally.

Can sometimes take a little while to set up but it is worth it. Give it a go, you have nothing to lose - HIP is free!

abraxus

Oh cool, so I presume HIP must have some sort of virtual keyboard and I match button presses to that?

I'll give it a go, thanks again.

dolph

Oh cool, so I presume HIP must have some sort of virtual keyboard and I match button presses to that?

I'll give it a go, thanks again.

There is a record function, it works quickest with a keyboard attached (presume you have a usb one sat around), otherwise you can pull up a virtual keyboard...

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom