Harmony & PVR on/off status

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by jellyheadjeff, Jan 30, 2009.

1. jellyheadjeff

jellyheadjeff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Tempted by getting a harmony one but as I understand it the harmony remote controls track the on/off status of a device based on the last state it left it in.

How does this work with (say) a PVR (Topfield TF5800) who may have switched itself on to do a timed recording from being off when you come along and use your remote activity to watch the PVR? One of my setups just has a panel plasma so you have no choice but to watch TV from the PVR. Wouldn't it try & turn it off?

Thanks

2. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,383
    Simple answer it wont know and may try to turn it off

Harmonys have a help button to rectify this sort of problem easily.
    Depending on your PVR it may not even be an issue.
    • My mates Toppy doesn't (from memory) actually turn on to record, it uses the 2nd tuner but doesn't come out of standby
    • another thing that may make this a none issue is if your Toppy has discreet remote codes available. These codes are specific on or off rather than a toggle (the unit may have them even if your remote doesn't have the seperate buttons) so if the Harmony sends an on command the PVR will do nothing if already on.

3. jellyheadjeff

jellyheadjeff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks. My topfield tf5800 definately comes out of standby to record a programe. How would I find out whether my toppy has discrete on/off IR commands - the toppy forums or does anybody here know?

Jeff

4. Alison22uk

Alison22uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    i use a toppy pvr n just recently got a harmony remote n if i do accidentally not spot the fact its already on and recording all it does is send a msg to turn it off when it finishes recording but when it finishes that msg always pops up n gives you the option of whether to turn it off or not so ill chose no. Thats not using the standard toppy options tho as obv i have taps etc installed onthe toppy.