Harmony One with 895's IR Blaster?

eddiem74

Okay, so I have my kit (Amp, Sky, Media pc) in a frosted glass cabinet to the front right of my viewing position. I also have a projector overhead. So I had a Harmony 895 RF remote which was controlling everything which has been dropped a few times over the years and now buttons are not working as well as they used too.

So my better half purchased me a Harmony One which is in-transit as I write, however I know this does not have RF capability, and I am unsure whether with a one button press it will turn on projector and items in the cabinet as they all rely on IR signals in different directions? Or should she have gotten me the 900? :confused:

Will the One work with the IR blaster from the 895? I know I used to have to update the IR blaster with any 895 updates I done via the sortware. :confused:

logiciel

As the One works by IR only it will need to be in line of sight to each device.
You could add any any IR extender to your system to allow for any problem that may cause.

eddiem74

As the One works by IR only it will need to be in line of sight to each device.
You could add any any IR extender to your system to allow for any problem that may cause.

So the 895 extender would not work with it you don't expect?

Pgmabley

No it doesn't, I was in this exact position a couple of weeks back, bought an IR extender in the end which I was a bit annoyed about as there is now a visible box to receive the signals and relay them into the cabinet but it works.

eddiem74

No it doesn't, I was in this exact position a couple of weeks back, bought an IR extender in the end which I was a bit annoyed about as there is now a visible box to receive the signals and relay them into the cabinet but it works.

What did you buy?

logiciel

So the 895 extender would not work with it you don't expect?
It can't - it's for the 895's own system, and no other Harmony has that.
Here's a typical IR Extender, and there are many others: Mini IR Extender

Pgmabley

logiciel

eddiem74

This is the usual example of that wired type: HQ Compact Infra Red Remote Control Extender.

Do you think I could leave one of the IR blasters out and pointing back to the projector the trigger the signal back in the opposite direction, should work right? Cos I need to turn on the projector overhead and my stuff in the cabinet in front of me to the right at the same time.

logiciel

The IR emission might be strong enough to do it that way.
You can extend the cables, and they're only very thin, so you could place an emitter close to the PJ.
The natural successor for the 895 IS the 900 though.
At current prices it could be a better alternative, for not a lot more.

eddiem74

The natural successor for the 895 IS the 900 though.
At current prices it could be a better alternative, for not a lot more.

Yeah the 900 (£181) is still nearly double the price of the One (£90) on Amazon, even if I add in £20 for an IR extender kit, its quite a jump. Unless you've seen them cheaper elsewhere? :)

logiciel

The poster of the thread immediately below this one has seen them. ;)

brookheather

Distinguished Member

eddiem74

brookheather

Distinguished Member
I don't think any vouchers work with discounted "Blemished Box" stock.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom