Harmony One vs Philips SRU8015

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by cjohnson6, Jan 30, 2009.

1. cjohnson6

cjohnson6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi all,

I have a Harmony One and am not getting on very well with it. My problem is with 'activities' and selecting the correct inputs on my Panasonic TH-42PV500. I'm just about to give up with the Harmony and sell it as Logitech support just aren't getting anywhere..

So, my question is, does anyone out there successfully use a Philips SRU8015 or similar with a Panasonic TH-42PV500.

Thanks

2. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    If the Harmony can't do the job, I don't think that this Philips will be any better.
    The Logitech database seems to contain more codes than the Philips database these days.

3. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    Give us some details about the input problems you're having.

4. cjohnson6

cjohnson6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I will be eternally greatful if you can fix my 'Harmony' problem.. well I guess that's a very long time... anyway, here goes..

I have the following connected to my Panasonic TH-42PV500..

Sky satellite receiver on AV1
    Canal satellite receiver on AV4
    Denon AVC-A1HD on HDMI. This connection is used for viewing DVD, BLU-RAY, and HD-TV from my Canal receiver. ( I live in Norway )

So, there are 5 activities specified that use 3 inputs on the TV. The Harmony successfully powers on and selects the correct input on my Denon.. no problems there. It's just the Panasonic NEVER selects the correct input. You with me so far ???

Sernario 1: Everything is off.. I select activity 'watch SKY' ( that's AV1 input on the TV ).. The TV powers on, Sky is already powered on.. TV starts up.. you see AV1 briefly and then it switches to 'TV' input, so I view fuzz... I press the HELP button. It asks 'is the TV on', I answer yes, it then asks, ' is the SKY receiver on', I answer yes, it finally asks, 'is the TV set to AV', I answer 'no' and the Harmony selects AV1.. yippee I think..it's fixed.. So I turn off the TV and go through the same process again... now, my understanding is that HELP is supposed to be kind of 'smart' and learn things from the user.. This doesn't seem to be the case.. I have to go through the same every time I use that activity.

Senario2: Everything is off.. I select activity 'Watch Canal' ( that's AV4 on the TV ). It goes through exactly the same start up sequence as described above and I end up watching fuzz. When I use HELP to change from TV to AV it only ever goes to AV1. Using HELP again will not allow me to change from AV1 to AV4.. it goes through a sequence similar to this.. 'Is the TV on?', 'Yes', 'Is the Canal receiver on?', 'Yes', 'Is AV4 selected?', 'No'.. end of help.. do this again and again and again... zzzzzzzzz I never get to AV4.

Exactly the same happens with the activites that use the HDMI inputs.

So, Logitech support seem to be adjusting the timing.. and perhaps some other things.. but they don't make it any better.. I can't really call then as it's an international number and would cost more than the remote.

It might be worth switching off the satellite receivers.... perhaps the Scart control is srewing things up, but as these receivers take time to power on and find the EPG stuff it's probably something I won't want to live with.

Is there anyway to stop it changing from AV to TV mode.. that would be a step in the right direction.

I have read quite a lot about discrete codes and hotel functions.. but I don't think that's the answer to my problem.... apparently they don't work.

You know what.. I was driving to the shops today and was thinking.. perhaps instead of changing the remote.. I'll change the TV.. haha.... joke.. Seriously, I really like the Panasonic TV, even though it's still just 1080i.. it has a fantastic picture.. I just need a better BluRay player to match :)

If you can make any sense out of my ramblings you're a better man than me :smashin:

5. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    The "help" function doesn't "learn" and fix problems permanently. It's not smart, it just puts things right the one time.

It seems from various posts that your TV doesn't have discrete codes, so you're going to have to do things the hard way. Put the Harmony to one side for the time being, and go back to the original remotes.

Using the original remote, work out what buttons you need to press to select the correct inputs (AV, arrow key, enter, whatever). The problem comes where the TV "remembers" the last-used input. This means that you have to press different keys to get to an input, depending on which input you start from.
    The way round this is to always get the TV to a known state (one particular input), then go to the input you want from there. Another poster said that the "inputSD" discrete worked for this TV, so you could use this as your standard start point. Another option might be the TV input.

Once you know what keys to press on the original remote, you can create sequences, and add them to the start of each activity.

The first part of the sequence would put the TV into the "standard" state, then select the desired input.
    I don't know the way that your TV selects inputs, but it might be something like:

InputSD
    AV
    Down
    Down
    Down
    Enter

Create a sequence to select each input, then add that sequence to the start of the activity.

IIRC, the Harmony troubleshooting procedure can do something similar if you answer the questions correctly, but it doesn't seem to work too well for older Panasonic TVs. I had the same problem with my parent's Panny CRT TV.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  6. cjohnson6

cjohnson6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Clockworks, thanks for the reply.. Your suggestion of creating sequences is exactly where I need to be headed.. only I just can't see how I can do this with the configuration software.

7. cjohnson6

cjohnson6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Ok, I found the 'sequence ' stuff. Looks like it might be the way to go.. I need a few hours to play around with this..

Thanks again for the suggestion :smashin:

8. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    cj6 - Well I did ask for details, and you certainly gave them - thank you!
    I had a suspect from the start and you confirmed it two thirds of the way through, with one word - Scart!
    If you're using a fully wired Scart that does automatic switching - or worse still more than one - then it and the Harmony can't live together in setting inputs. The best solution is to change connections, which is a good idea anyway, the next to use partly wired Scarts, and the next to let them take over and take away control of inputs from the Harmony altogether.
    One glimmer of hope is that you're rather vague about discrete inputs commands. Have you actually checked in the dropdown list of commands whether they're available for your TV, and if they are whether they do actually work or not?

clockworks: You know how much you're going against the Harmony principle with your suggestion about Additional Commands, but it could be a solution, if all else fails!

9. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I know it's not "the done thing", but, with older Panasonic TVs, it might be the only solution. The switching "logic" has to be seen to be believed!

Past experience made me very wary about buying my current Panny. Fortunately they included discretes.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  10. cjohnson6

cjohnson6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Adding some sequences have made things more livable... I've not completed my editing of the configuration, but I reckon I'm on the right road.

Thinking about it, the thing I miss the most are the 'hard' red, green, blue, yellow buttons on the remote.. seems to be a shame to hide them on the 'soft' buttons and then have to rearrange everything to put them on the first page... bit of a dumb design if you ask me ;)

Anyway thanks to all for your so far :)

11. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    cj6: You're far from alone about the virtual colour buttons as many of us felt the same way. They appear on the screen initially but it's easy to transfer them right away to spare hard buttons where they're much more practical, and really work very well.