Harmony One Plus.....differences

akarit1

Established Member
Reaction score
Could someone please tell me what the differences are between the Harmony One remote and the Harmony One Plus remote...I'm thinking of getting the Harmony One Plus but have read both good and bad things about it and not sure if I should invest in one.....:confused:

There are no differences between the remotes, and they are excellent devices, so get whichever costs less.
You have the choice of setting up the + version in the normal way, or on the myharmony web site, but that's not an advantage as it's very restrictive and has a much smaller database of devices.

Thanks for the reply.:smashin:
Is the Plus one a newer version of a tried and tested classic??
Is it better to program from the website or to download the program??

That's OK and I don't think that if you could get inside them you'd find anything different in the + version from in the normal version, and as far as I know both the versions are still being made and sold, and are still fine in themselves.
The new web site, that was intended originally only for the very primitive Harmony 300, is "very restrictive and has a much smaller database of devices" so it seems pointless to use it rather than the normal setup procedure, with its access to the full database.

What are the normal set up procedures, are they easy to perform??;)

Yes, they are fairly easy.
Probably the easiest of any smart remote!

The database has had all the hardwork done for you. All you need to do is tell the software what devices you've got. :)

Last edited:
You enter your devices, by selecting them from lists that are presented under Type, Manufacturer, and Model.
You then select from the wide choice of types of Activity, and specify which combination of devices you wish to use in each of them - such as Watch Satellite TV with TV, PVR, Amplifier.

I take it that you do all this on the actual remote itself or do you need to connect the remote to a P.C via a usb cable?

Everything on pc.
Once finished just update remote with USB cable
Simple as that.

They'd never get the commands for 100,000 devices into the remote!
Those are all on their database and you connect to that through your computer and the internet.

so why have various reviews stated that it's best to set up via the program and NOT web based application?? A bit confused here....:confused:

FINALLY, will it work with all my equipment in the signature??

Last edited:
akarit1 said:
so why have various reviews stated that it's best to set up via the program and NOT web based application?? A bit confused here....:confused:

FINALLY, will it work with all my equipment in the signature??

The software/program on the computer communicates with the Logitech database automatically.
You only need to use the program itself.
It IS the best way and simplest way.

The web based set up is a separate and different method.

The database has a huge collection of devices.
Almost inevitably will include your equipment.
Unfortunately on the iPad I cannot see your sig.

so why have various reviews stated that it's best to set up via the program and NOT web based application?
will it work with all my equipment in the signature?
Because they agree with us, that the standard setup procedure is better than the new web site, not least because of the original's far larger database of devices.
Harmonys control any device that has an original remote that works by infrared, and all of yours, with the possible exception of the screen, do have them.

I think he is getting confused with the 'program going online for database' as if it is the web based method???

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he is getting confused with the 'program going online for database' as if it is the web based method???

Yes I think your right I was a bit confused but from reading your comments I think I understand it now...basically the program will connect with the online database of make/model. Does it then store the set up online in like a cloud??

Does all the equipment I have, have to be on standby for the remote to switch them all on??

Yes, I suspected that there might be some confusion.
From the start all Harmonys were set up using the same system, what I've called the standard setup procedure.
You use the CD that comes with the Harmony to set it up on your computer.
Then the very basic 300 model came out, that uses a web site, myharmony.com, for setting up, and more recently that's been made available for models including a version of the One, though why that's been done is a mystery.
The original method was always a bit creaky and that's showing up more now, but it IS still much better.

Yes, the program communicates with the Harmony database where all the device commands are stored, and where the specific configuration that you set up for your system is also stored, for you to access and amend at any time.
The idea with Harmonys is that they do all the controlling, including automatically making all Power and Input commands, and the default situation is that all your devices are Off so that it takes control of their power status, but if you wish you can change that to allow for your preferred method of working.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help and clearing this up, I'm getting tempted to get one now..;)
Would the TV, amp etc....have to be on standby for the remote to power it all up as currently with the original remotes for the various equipment, it all has to be in standby for them to work apart from the Sky HD box and blu ray player/vhs-dvd recorder.

Yes on standby. Of physical button switched it won't power on.

Harmony one is the best remote I have ever owned. And I have owned a touchscreen as well.

the default situation is that all your devices are Off so that it takes control of their power status, but if you wish you can change that to allow for your preferred method of working.
In the default situation all devices are off, so the choice of the first activity of a session turns on the devices that are included in it, the choice of another turns off any devices that are not in the second one and turns on any that are in it but were not in the first, and so on, until the end of the session when the Off button turns off any devices that are still on.
But you can change the default if you wish.

Ok, so I'd have to have the TV on standby then otherwise it would not work if the main switch is off.

I don't see how any remote could turn on the main switch.:confused:

I don't see how any remote could turn on the main switch.:confused:

That's exactly what I thought...although as a rule, I never keep my equipment on standby so for this remote to work, I'd need to do so...I supose it wouldn't hurt it to remain in the standby mode 24/7.....:)

For it to do everything you'd have to leave them on standby, but there's nothing to stop you turning on their main switches manually just as you do now and then letting it take over and do everything else.

is this the best value remote to get with a 50% voucher code from logitech to replace my 525 which is old and getting past it?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom