Harmony One delays - help?

stephentw

I'm new to the Harmony and I'm pretty pleased with my setup so far but I'm getting really annoying delays on my Harmony One. It's not the inter key delays as these are set to 0 mostly anyway and it even happens when it's the first key I've pressed.

The problem is if I press say menu then scroll through the menus on my tv (panasonic pz85) with the direction pad I press the button then theres a delay before the selection changes. Not a big delay but a very annoying one as it doesn't happen at all with the original remote. It also happens on the volume control so if I'm trying to turn up or down by a lot and I keep pressing it then stop it's as though theres loads of extra presses it's stored up and it keeps moving ages after I stop pressing, very frustrating!

It's exactly the same with my Humax pvr and my squeezebox. Is there some sort of global setting I can change for this? Or is it one of the other delays I need to change?

logiciel

The first thing to do is run the Troubleshoot. That will probably get you to try different settings of the repeats, and it may be that 100ms may be better than 0s for Inter-Key Delay.

stephentw

Yeah I read a few more threads on here and the logitech forums and tried 100 too since my original post but to no avail, still the same, I've had a fiddle with the troubleshooting too and changed the "my device responds too slowly" option to various things and they made no difference either :(

I actually found a thread on the logitech forums that seems pretty much the same as mine albeit with a different device and their solution came from a rather long conversation with logitech support.

Is there anything else I can try before I contact support?

Can't help but feel that the software is a little clunky and frustrating, I know it's meant to be user friendly but I'd rather see an "advanced" setup menu that cuts out all the nice "I can't turn it on" type questions.

Last edited:

logiciel

The Troubleshoot questions are meant to save you the hassle of searching for the options one at a time - but they are all accessible separately!
Logitech can look deeper into the accounts than the user can, so it would be a good idea now to e-mail the full details so that they can trace and fix the problem.

monksy74

Have you tried lowering the inter device delay? You would think it shouldn't make a difference when sending multiple commands to the same device but Ive seen a thread on here saying it did speed things up

stephentw

I have indeed tried that. I've had a right good mess on with it and it looks like I'll have to get in touch with Logitech. Am I best just mailing them (I've done that before and that was quite quick) or is ringing so they can change things and I can test them while I'm still on the phone?

Logiciel - I know what you mean, I agree its easy for a general person trying to set something up, but for anyone with a bit more knowledge it's quite frustrating.

Last edited:

logiciel

Just to be clear - Is it only the controls that need the "hold" function - direction, volume, etc - or all of them?

stephentw

All of them I think, although most of the ones that come to mind are ones which could be either pressed individually or held - volume, channel skip, directional pad. But when I've tried other buttons like the channel numbers or play/pause etc there is still the delay it's just not as noticable as it's not having the store commands and catch up (if that makes sense).

logiciel

The "hold" function probably does come into it then, and that's something that does happen and that only Logi support can fix. Another thing that happens is that people feel the same way as you about the way the software works. It's difficult for Logitech to find a middle way, and providing both methods could be misleading, though there are some improvements they could make quite easily - but don't - or won't. If you're within the 60 day limit do it by phone and hope to get an intelligible agent; otherwise e-mail is often the better method anyway as it gives you a record of the question and the answer!

Last edited:

m4rky_m4rk

Its not clear to me if you have tried adjusting the repeats. These are found in the trouble shooting section by selecting 'My remote responds occasionally or too many times or',,,or something like that. The repeats are numbered 1 to 5; default is 3. These can make a big difference to the speed of the remote. What is yours set too.

stephentw

Yeah I have tried changing the repeats. I tried putting them both higher and lower and neither cured it. I think its set to 2 at the moment which is the highest I could set it, higher settings made one press turn into two or more.

Think I'll have to contact Logitech tomorrow.

Nokmondoo

Let us know if they can sort it. I have the same problem using my ONE for my media centre. It 'Qeues' the button presses and can be quite annoying - the original mce remote doesn't do it.

Mincepie

Standard Member
I have the same problem with my Squeezebox 3.
With the SB3 remote, you can scroll through tracks, playlists, at high speed, just keep pressing up/down etc - it will respond as fast as you can press the button.

With the Harmony One, it's as the poster above said, it "queues" the button presses, playing them back much slower than i pressedd the button myself, very annoying.

Have set "repeats" to zero.

Mincepie

Standard Member
While it's nice that some effort has gone in to making the "one" easy you setup for non-technical people, it'd be nice if there was an 'advanced' mode that had all of the settings on one page, a simple drop down list/number box without any of the questions that lead up to each setting, as it's possiable that i've not set something right, just that i've not seen it as it's tucked away somewhere.

logiciel

Which are the settings that are not included on the Activities> and Devices> Settings pages?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom