1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

harmony Issue

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Dicky T, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Dicky T

Dicky T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Took receipt of my panny PW7 and harmony remote last weekend and got it all up and working. I have my sky+ connected by s-video and dvd by component.

When I switch between the two imputs when the system is on it works fine.

The issue arised when I turn on from standby mode. If I start up with the input that wasnt the one being used when I went into standby mode the tv goes to the pc input e.g. sky+ was on when went into standby, come out of standby by pressing the movie (DVD) button.

Anyone know how to resolve this ?

2. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    If the AV input selector button on the tv remote works in a sequential fashion (i.e. you keep pushing it until you get to the input that you need) then the remote will think that it is at a certain input when starting and scroll round until it gets to what it thinks is the correct one. This process can get out of sequence if the input that the tv turns on with is not the one that the remote thinks it is at (if you see what I mean).

What you have to do is change the way that it selects inputs so that each input has it's own IR code, then it will go to the correct input every time. I was able to do this on my Hitachi plasma by setting programme numbers beyond analogue CH5 as inputs, e.g. 6 = AV2 Pace box, 7 = AV3 Humax PVR, 8 = AV4 DVD etc and changing the TV input select behaviour in the Harmony to use the direct command rather than scroll by sending the change input button code repeatedly. This means that to select the dvd, it sends the code for channel 8. Unfortunately, I don't know if this is possible with your tv. :)

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Discrete codes for panny PW6 are not common knowledge if available give Harmony CS a ring as they can do wonders editing the xml code for you

4. Dicky T

Dicky T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I played around with the power toggle delay and managed to get it working.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Well done mate

6. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Bought the Harmony from Dixons at £100 and what a great remote altho i have the same problem as mentioned ie when pressing "watch a movie" or "watch tv" it always seems to choose the wrong input and for the life of me cant crack it ! TV by the way is the Samsung Plasma.
    Also have the problem of when using up down left or right scrolling thro the SKY TV listings it seems to jump 2 or 3 rather than just the one any answer to this you more Harmony experienced guys ???
    regards
    kev

7. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    kevH, Which Samsung plasma do you have?

The problem with the sky box is probably down to button timing. Try altering them.

8. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    hi ikki
    the samsung is the ps42 v4 if that helps m8
    cheers
    kev

9. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    kevH

Try the following (if you haven't already)

1. Go to the Harmony setup page.
    2. Select 'More options' for the TV.
    3. Select 'Adjust inputs'.
    4. Select the third button down 'I press a button to bring up an on-screen menu of inputs, a button to cycle between them, and a button to select the input I want'
    5. Finish the set up.

If that does not work try this:

1. In the Adjust inputs, select the second option 'I go directly to the input I want (usually for Stereo Receiver, Amplifier, etc.)'
    2. When you get to the next page, make sure that the inputs are listed in the order that they are accessed by the TV remote.
    3. On the next window which will be the first of the inputs in the list on the previous page, you will set up a command from multiple key presses to directly access that input. e.g. for AV1

First work out the sequence of button presses needed to set that input via the menu. i.e.

MENU (menu screen)
    V
    ENTER (input screen)
    V
    ENTER (source screen)
    V
    V
    V
    ENTER (AV1)

(I don't know how many down presses are needed in between each ENTER button press exactly)

Work out how many button presses are needed and add more drop down buttons to the Harmony page by selecting 'I send more commands'

Replicate the sequence of button presses by selecting the correct command for each drop down.

This should replicate you pressing that sequence of buttons, but in one command.

When the first input is set up, repeat for all the others.

Download the new setup to the Harmony.

I know it's a bit long winded to set up, but it may solve your problem.

Another way would be to get the discrete codes for each input from Samsung Support and in the Harmony setup page, go to the Support centre, then the Infra red analysis centre, then manual where you can input the codes.

:)

10. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    THANKS A BUNCH IKKI
    if this dont work i may well have to invite you round to programme my harmony
    and serve you alcoholic beverages and little sausage things on sticks while you work !!!! LOL
    Cheers
    kev

11. Dave R

Dave R
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    DickyT - can you expand upon this a bit - have you somehow used the power toggle delay to manage discrete input codes? I'm not sure how you would have, but that's what you were trying to do I believe (and what I want to do!).

Thanks.