Harmony Help please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by dUnKle, Nov 4, 2004.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,382
    Got a H655 model and whilst it works and im happy with it I do have a few niggles

(1) My model has the coloured buttons on it for Sky - but pressing of the blue button seems to send the signal twice (sometimes more) so it skips channels too much

(2) Similar to the above - the FF and REW buttons also seem to send too many signals with each button press

(3) On occasion (usuaully after pressing an activity button) the green transmit bulb lights up and stays lit - none of the buttons, with the exception of the activity buttons, work

(4) More of an is it possible one ! The commands that you can put in the screen at the top using the software - is it possible to have them carry out a command that is not shown on a drop down menu ? For example I have a Yamaha 2400 - and want to put some of the sound modes up there - however the options are not always there

Thanks in advance

2. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I don't have sky so I can't be too precise, but I have a few suggestions.

It took a few days to get my H655 to work as I wanted it and it involved some deep thinking about how both the remote and the devices concerned worked, percevere and you will get there as there are lots of ways to change the way it and your kit behaves.

1 & 2. When you set up a device initially, you usually select your device from the lists or it gives you a choice of devices that use the same language. Do not take it for granted that the functions for each key already in their database will work properly. In the internet setup software, choose 'more options' for the device concerned and then 'learn infrared commands' and learn every button that you will use on the remote. After this, each command will send the same signal as the original remote.

3. I've not seen this one but play around with the delays (speed settings) for the devices, also in the 'more options' windows.

4. In a word 'yes'. What appears on these soft buttons (and all others) in the screen is entirely customisable. First make sure that all functions to be used have been learned. There are two places to set up the buttons, the soft buttons shown for a device selected via the device button are set differently to the soft buttons shown when an activity is selected. By default, only 4 of the six soft buttons are selectable but you can change this to the full 6 through 'My remote preferences' on the main screen.

For a device, go to 'more options' then 'customise the device, sound....'. There are two sections, 'Button' (defines the function of each hard button) and 'Custom button label' (defines the function of each soft button). For each button, the function is selected from the drop down menu on the right. If you do not want any function assigned to a particular button, scroll to the top and choose the blank option. All the functions that you previously learned for the device are selectable for any button, hard or soft. If you want more than 6 functions selectable through the soft buttons, use the 'more custom labels' button at the top of the page to add more. In use you will use the next button to scroll through the chosen soft buttons if there are more than 6 selected. You can also include commands from other devices but you must initially learn them as if they came from the original remote.

For an activity, the setup is similar. Choose 'customise' then 'change the behaviour of the buttons'. Button lists will appear for each of the devices used to make changes, e.g. to watch a set top box, the button list for the stb (channel change and text) and the AV receiver (sound) will appear. As above, select exactly what functions you want for each button and deselect any that are not used.

I did exactly the same as you want to do for my Yamaha AV receiver. Just one point about the sound functions. If you select a set of sound functions for one activity e.g. 'watch dvd' such as dolby, stereo, theatre 1 etc. These sound functions will be set for each activity where the AV receiver is used. It doesn't seem to be possible to customise different functions for different activities. Just select the ones that you use in all activities.

I hope that this helps, if you didn't fall asleep reading it. :boring:

3. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,382
    Thanks mate

will have a go

:thumbsup: