Harmony H885 first review

OM i have changed the back ground to a new darker one and seems to have done the trick the background i am using is the one below, I have also been playing with the favourite channels, very impressive this feature works perfectly and is what makes the 885 really stand out it is superb!!!!
And i now have no problem giving this a 5/5 easy to use logo were taken from remote central courtesy of Craig Barnes and Ray Bulter

Attachments

• BGtaa14.jpg
    BGtaa14.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 695
  • Logo1.jpg
    Logo1.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 793
Wow, that looks superb! care to share any logos??!?!?! :lease:

Do you have to fiddle much to get them in there? and im guessing you have to be connected to the internet to load all these up, or can you do that offline?

Roll on tomorrow!

leigh all you have to do is go to remotecentral and use colour pronto logos mate you download a batch to your PC then you upload them to Harmony profile (online) and just tell the site what number ie sky box 101 is the bbc 1 LOGO... Its so easy mate it took me 5 minutes after finding all those logos on remote central see here http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bi...television/craig-barnes_logos.zip&area=pronto
And http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bi...ronto&db=other&br=designs&dv=networklogos&fc=

Its not fair, you are tempting me and I really shouldnt.. great pics. :)

Hornydragon, thanks for that, glad to hear its easy to setup :)

Thanks for the great, ongoing review Horny, looks superb. Very excited as I got an email today to say mine has been shipped! :thumbsup:

harmony8854yd.jpg

NICE !!!
I'm defo gonna get one.
Glad I didn't spend £700 on a Marantz or Pronto now!

Don't suppose the Harmony 885 can control Rako lighting??
(with RF to IR convertor). If so, how would you do it Horny?

I cant see it being an issue if you can get a Rako IR Module the harmoiny can learn any IR code (can do most High Freqeucny IR too B&O etc) try tking a test drive on logitech site and see if Rako is isted in the lighting section, otherwise a quick call to tech support will sort it out.

hornydragon said:
I cant see it being an issue if you can get a Rako IR Module the harmoiny can learn any IR code (can do most High Freqeucny IR too B&O etc) try tking a test drive on logitech site and see if Rako is isted in the lighting section, otherwise a quick call to tech support will sort it out.
It is... (just remembered I've asked this before!)
Was a debate whether I include it in an activity (like watch DVD, or seperate them into DVD Day and DVD Night ....with the latter to include dimmed Rako lights)

hmm...

I can see no reason why you couldnt control your lighting, im planning on doing the same thing and also include the electric curtain track i have just ordered.

the only issue is that RAKO is an RF based system not IR any IR device is fine, Helvar Lutron and Varilight lighting is fine as are silent gliss IR and Othello screens IR but mixing IR and RF can get messy so try and stick to IR devices

Its the silent gliss track im getting, but cant you get an add-on RF extender for the 885?

i have no idea but RF exteners are not RF converts the ones for prontos are for remote room control ie the RF module sits in another room and outputs IR to the kit in that room ideal if you want to stash all your kit in a cupboard etc. There are stand alone RF extenders that the 885 will work with, these are 2 boxes on recives IR emits RF to the second unit which recieves the RF code converts it back to IR and sends IR out to the remote location.

Why do people go for Slient Gliss as a not so slient curtain rail?

Cos the future father in law works in blinds and i can get a 50% discount.... Its a good enough reason for me! ;)

That would do it!

;)

I looked long and hard at the mx-850 when I was deciding on a pronto replacement. I ended up with the 885 - admittedly the colour screen played a part in the decision (I'm a geek to the end :D ) but also it seems to have exactly the right balance between hard and soft buttons. For me anyway. I've not used the MX-850 but I read enough up on it to get a feel for the differences.

I picked up one from vex's powerbuy elsewhere on the forums, it arrived today and I can honestly say it's got my aging pronto beaten hands down in terms of usability. The lack of macros is a slight pain, but most of the time you only need them to string power and input switching commands together and that's handled automatically by the 885 anyway.

After 4 hours worth of tweaking this evening I have 6 devices working together and no glitches. That includes a sky+, a squeezebox and a remote-unfriendly amplifier that has a very quirky power toggle.

Contrast that to 4 years with a pronto that I never got around to finishing the programming for and you can see the ease of use :)

The correct pixel size is 64 x 32 if you want to scale them at all :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom