Question Harmony, Google Mini, Dipping my toe in the water.

thatone

Standard Member
Reaction score
Getting Sky Q fitted in a couple of weeks, I have a couple of Google Home Mini's one in the living room, one in the bedroom, and both rooms have Hue lighting.
Bought a Harmony Ultimate yesterday, and spent a couple of hours starting it last night.
Initial problem was getting it to see the Sky Box, but not too bothered due to the reason above.
Also use Netflix, although I appreciate that this will now work through the Sky Q box(es).
One thing that I do every morning, being a creature of habit, is listen to Radio 2, currently through the Google Home Mini in the living room, although I appreciate it would sound better through the Pioneer AV Receiver (VSX-322K) which I have never configured to use as a Radio.
Also have Chromecasts on both TV's, the living room TV is Smart.
Is is possible to set up a procedure to run at say 7am to switch on Radio 2, after giving me a traffic report of the journey to work?

Routines in the Google Home app can do what you want i think. You can use the good morning routine to do all of those things

Persobally I'd add a Chromecast Audio to the amp and set your google home to use it as the default for music playback.

Google and harmony work very well together.
(And soon, will work better still ;))

Interested in the "soon" bit. Whats happening ? :)
There's 2 different ways things can be integrated into the Google Assistant

At the moment Harmony is essentially a separate app you link to the assistant. To operate you ask Harmony to do a task i.e. "OK Google ask Harmony to watch TV" or similar wording.

Using this approach means other users can't access the Harmony without workarounds or using other services (like IFTTT for example)

The second method is where a service is integrated directly, like most lights for example so I can link my Hue lights and ask Google to control them directly, it also means guests and other users can control my lights and the assistant can do things like track the status of devices and activities

There's a bit more detail here:

Logitech Harmony direct control is finally live on Google Assistant (and Home), but there are some limitations

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom