Harmony Elite AVR standby pass through and switching inputs

sh500

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Have recently purchased an Elite. Generally works well, but seems to lack certain features I'd like (setting a predefined volume for example).

Anyway, I have a setup where all source inputs go via my Pioneer AVR (then output to the TV). So I have a 'Watch TV' activity set up. I don't like having the AVR on for normal viewing, but I am forced to include it in this activity as I need to ensure the correct input on the AVR is selected as part of the activity.

My original remote allows to switch sources, whilst the AVR unit is still is standby. But I cannot seem to find a way to do this on the Elite.

Perhaps an additional activity (Turn AVR Off) could do this, but I couldn't find a way to turn off an individual device in activities.

Any suggestions?

Hi.
Are you sure the AVR can switch sources when it is off?!

It's funny as I have just stumbled across this whilst searching for another issue I'm having with my harmony elite.

I have been trying to figure this out as I also have a Pioneer AVR (VSX-930) which also uses the input selection when in standby to enable hdmi pass-through.
Like you I don't always want the amp fully on and burning through electricity for normal viewing and it's been pretty frustrating how you cannot add a device that's not considered a sound controlling device or visual displaying device to any activity. That's all that's required. The ability to add a device to an activity that doesn't "need" to be powered on. At least that's how I understand it. Or have I missed something ?
Have you figured out a way around this restriction or no ?

You can add any device to an activity.
You can include a device more than once with normal on and off commands and with them set to be "none".

But you need to include the Pioneer AVR as one of the devices (to be able to select it later, in order to add further commands to it). This defaults to Power On the [AVR] device.

There are then no assignable commands that allow you to turn the AVR off (or on) or standby.

A device can have its on and off commands assigned to be anything - or nothing.

A device can have its on and off commands assigned to be anything - or nothing.
I am going by the normal procedure of setting up activity (as I'm sure the other poster is too).

If there is a way to do what we require, then we'd appreciate it if you could be explicit in your instructions.

Adding the AVR to the start activity, powers on the device. We would like to set the desired input of AVR, without it powering on.

It's done in Devices, but they've apparently dropped the "none" option on the Elite.
Instead go to Power Settings and select commands that don't do anything.

I am going by the normal procedure of setting up activity (as I'm sure the other poster is too).

If there is a way to do what we require, then we'd appreciate it if you could be explicit in your instructions.

Adding the AVR to the start activity, powers on the device. We would like to set the desired input of AVR, without it powering on.

I'm not sure what the difficulty is here. Press Devices, select the AVR, and send the change input press you desire (assuming your AVR does indeed respond to input commands when off).

You don't have to be in an activity to use the Devices option to send any IR command to any device.

Also, if there is a particular device you'd like the AVR left on when turning it off (you always use the sky box, for example), you can add a command into the shutdown sequence for the AVR to make it send a command before shutting down.

Last edited:
I am not sure if I'm not explaining myself clearly enough, or me not understanding your instructions.

I have added the 'PowerToggle' command by editing the AVR.

But, I was expecting to then see this newly added command when adding/editing an Activity. This does not seem to be the case - it only shows the defaults.
Screenshot_20171218-171753.jpg
Screenshot_20171218-171949.jpg

The Power commands are always shown under that name, even when the actual command has been set to "none" or otherwise changed.

I'm not sure what the difficulty is here. Press Devices, select the AVR, and send the change input press you desire (assuming your AVR does indeed respond to input commands when off).

You don't have to be in an activity to use the Devices option to send any IR command to any device.

Also, if there is a particular device you'd like the AVR left on when turning it off (you always use the sky box, for example), you can add a command into the shutdown sequence for the AVR to make it send a command before shutting down.
No, you are missing the point here, why should we have to go into devices to then toggle the input on a daily basis and perhaps more than once a day ? Surely that defeats the purpose of having this remote in the first place ?
It should be set up as an "activity" where it's done for you but annoyingly enough, harmony doesn't allow you to add a device to an activity whereby it isn't powered on as such.... That's what the difficulty is here

You can add any device to an activity.
You can include a device more than once with normal on and off commands and with them set to be "none".
And how is this done exactly ? Does this require the remote to be connected to a pc using desktop software by any chance as I can't see any way of doing this using the mobile app for android !

No, you are missing the point here, why should we have to go into devices to then toggle the input on a daily basis and perhaps more than once a day ? Surely that defeats the purpose of having this remote in the first place ?
It should be set up as an "activity" where it's done for you but annoyingly enough, harmony doesn't allow you to add a device to an activity whereby it isn't powered on as such.... That's what the difficulty is here
So you have a few options. If there is a single device you want to switch to in standby, do it as you leave the other activities.

If you think you need to switch the AVR in standby; If you have an AVR like a Denon which has IR codes allowing you to switch the AVR between AVR audio and TV AUDIO, then use that option instead and leave the AVR on (at the cost of some power consumption)

Or learn the particular input commands for the AVR into one of the devices that are part of these activities where the AVR is off, and then you can send them.

Edit: or add another copy of the AVR to the harmony, and remove the power on off commands for it. Add that AVR to the activities and use the input commands.

It is a reasonable supposition on Harmony's part that if a device is off you don't plan to use it in an activity... Harmony is an excellent and very inexpensive control system, just needs a little lateral thought sometimes.

GJ: I've no experience of using applications with Harmonys but I don't see any reason why it should not be possible. Look for an option with Power commands.

So you have a few options. If there is a single device you want to switch to in standby, do it as you leave the other activities.

If you think you need to switch the AVR in standby; If you have an AVR like a Denon which has IR codes allowing you to switch the AVR between AVR audio and TV AUDIO, then use that option instead and leave the AVR on (at the cost of some power consumption)

Or learn the particular input commands for the AVR into one of the devices that are part of these activities where the AVR is off, and then you can send them.

Edit: or add another copy of the AVR to the harmony, and remove the power on off commands for it. Add that AVR to the activities and use the input commands.

It is a reasonable supposition on Harmony's part that if a device is off you don't plan to use it in an activity... Harmony is an excellent and very inexpensive control system, just needs a little lateral thought sometimes.
That's a good suggestion. I hadn't really thought of that. I'm not having an easy time using the elite over my ultimate which the elite replaced especially when I'm limited to only using the android app for setup etc, might have to head over to the in laws to borrow their PC and spend a bit of time tinkering using the desktop software.

Thanks

I've tried both suggestions of adding another instance of the AVR and turn power commands off, as well as adding a learning IR command to one of the other devices in the Activity.

Both of them are basically not switching to the correct inputs.

Learning the IR command seems to be successful, but it does work when part of an Activity. Even manually trying to execute it from Devices, does not work. Running the same command from the AVR's native Device list, works fine (whilst the AVR is in standby mode).
Screenshot_20171222-173202.jpg
Screenshot_20171222-173352.jpg

There could be issues with delays in the second case. Because they are now "the same device" it may only do an inter-key delay between presses, which might make your AVR ignore the keypresses (if it doesn't see a long enough break). Just guessing.

There is no good reason for it not to work.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom