Harmony database and Samsung T220HD TV

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by clockworks, Feb 11, 2009.

1. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Just setting up a second AV system around my computers - XP PC, iMac, Denon 3802 with 4.1 +2 speakers, PS3 and Samsung T220HD TV/monitor.

This TV/monitor is proving to be a real pain. Harmony database shows what appears to be discrete codes for all the inputs, except "DTV" (on-board Freeview).

The original remote has 2 input buttons - one to toggle between analogue and digital TV, and one to cycle through the AV and PC inputs.
    The Harmony "discrete" codes mostly don't work. The "DVI PC" code actually selects the "VGA PC" input - I'm using DVI.

Any unused/powered off source inputs are skipped, so method 1 can't be used.

The best solution I can find is to use method 2 (device has discrete codes), and select HDMI 1 as the input for every activity that uses the Samsung TV.
    For activities that use the PS3 (DVD, games and CD), this is the correct input.
    For the PC activity, I added a "source" command to the start of the activity. This takes the TV to the next AV input, which is the last-used PC input (DVI in my case).
    For the TV and Radio activities (both using the Freeview tuner), I added a "TV" command to the start of each activity. This takes the TV to the last-used TV input (DTV in my case).

Using the HDMI 1 input as a "placeholder" seems to work as a known starting point for all the activities with this TV.

If I get a chance, I'll download all the Samsung codes to my Pronto and see if I can find some better discrete codes that actually work, then pass the info to Logitech so that they can update the database.

In the meantime, anyone struggling with a Samsung T-series, give the above method a try.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    For the PC Logi could make a new command for you consisting of HDM1 and Source.
    For the Tuner why not use just TV as the automatic input and have the command on a spare button to send manually when you need ATV?
    If you do get better input codes you'll be doing a useful job by sending them off to Logi for entry to the base.
    The same would apply if you told them about the wrong commands that are there now.

3. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    The real problem is the fact that the "PC" and "TV" commands are toggles - neither command takes you to a truly defined input. I could get a combined PC and HDMI code made, but I reckon that this would simply add to the confusion that already exists with some of the pseudo-discretes in the database.
    Such a combined command would only take you to the last used PC input (VGA or DVI), not necessarily the input you really wanted.

Same problem with the TV/DTV toggle - entering one TV-based activity from another TV-based activity would actually take you to the analogue tuner, not the digital one.

The way I've got it set now works fine, but I agree that the confusion in the database needs clearing up. I just need to devote a couple of hours to looking for better codes. If I find them, I'll pass them on to Logitech.

If only TV manufacturers would put these codes into all their TVs, and standardise their input switching methods, life would be a lot simpler.

4. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    I read you as saying that the last used input WAS the one you wanted.

5. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Yes, it is. Problem is, if you are already in an activity that uses the "DTV" input (watch TV) and want to switch to another activity that uses the "DTV" input (listen to Radio), if you set both activities to use the "TV" input, the Harmony will send an "inputTV" command at the start of each activity. This will cause the TV to toggle the input at the start of the second activity, which puts the TV to the analogue TV input.

Setting each activity to use the HDMI input, then sending a "TV/DTV" command ensures that the TV always goes to the "DTV" input, no matter how you arrive at the activity.

6. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    Gotcha - any toggle command is always a problem - I do it manually.:D