1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harmony controlling Viera Plasma

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by kriswood5, Nov 25, 2004.

1. kriswood5

kriswood5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

Has anyone managed to program their Harmony to switch on a Pana Viera plasma - i cant get mine to work. The problem is that the panasonic power button needs to be pressed and held for about 2 secs before the TV will respond and the Harmony appears to just send a short signal as opposed to a continuous signal for 2 secs.

Any ideas appreciated, thanks
    Kris

2. kriswood5

kriswood5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its ok now, all sorted. I needed to change the length of the command being transmitted.

I now have one controller covering 4 devices - still needs a bit fo fine tuning but nearly perfect

3. jom

jom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem with my Panasonic TV (albeit a CRT) and an OFA-6. I am thinking about getting another universal remote, but didn't want to get one unless I could be sure it would fix my macro/power button problem. Which model Harmony do you have?

4. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this problem with rear proj panasonic as well. Found that setting up a macro to press the button 3 times in a row when I press once ( on my pronto) sorted it out. Seriously annoying though.

5. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    So which command exactly did you have to change? Could you be quite specific please?

I have just bought a 655 and have a Viera....

6. kriswood5

kriswood5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is the email that I received from Harmony to sort this out:

Thank you for contacting the Harmony Support Team. Please see the "Resolution" section of this e-mail for the answer to your support request. If the information that we have provided is not enough to resolve your issue or if we have asked for more information from you, then please e-mail us and ensure that your issue tracking number is in the subject line. To do so, you may reply to this e-mail.

Resolution:
    THank you for your email. To fix the problem, you will need to learn the command of the TV for 2 seconds or as long as you need to make it work originally. PLease follow these instruction to help you learn the command.

To teach commands for your Device that did not work properly in normal mode, follow these steps:
    1. Choose 'More Options' beside the TV on your home page.
    2. Then choose 'Learn Infrared Commands'.
    3. At the very bottom of the page, click the 'Custom' button. The page will reload with six columns.
    4. Please check the boxes down the left for commands you would like to teach (PowerToggle), and click the 'Learn Selected as Raw' button.

5. Please press the button on the original remote for as long as required to control the device. The Harmony will learn the commands with the same length and format as sent by the original remote.

6. Update your remote

If you have any trouble teaching the commands in RAW, please try the following:
    a) Ensure you are pointing the original remote into the bottom of the Harmony below the display screen;
    b) Minimize the amount of UV light that could interfere with the learning process by covering the distance between the remotes, blocking out sunlight, or turning the lights off;

c) Try distances from 1 to 12 inches to find the right distance for the strength of the original remote;
    d) Try varying the angle at which the commands are sent into the bottom of the Harmony;
    e) Ensure that the Device's original remote is sending infrared commands; (it is sending RF commands from the original remote if it will control the Device from another room, through a wall)

If you require any additional assistance, please contact our Support team, or visit our FAQ’s located on your Harmony member homepage, and clicking “Support”

Regards,

Harmony Customer Service

7. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Cool. This seems to have sorted it. BTW I wonder if you have a similar set-up to me with regards Sky + and DVD player? My Sky is connected using RGB on AV1 (scart), and my DVD player is connected via component (AV4/C). I'm not sure how the H655 is going to cope with toggling the input selection? Have you had similar problems?

8. kriswood5

kriswood5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used the learn infrared command to overcome this - it seems to work ok

9. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    So you don't get any problems choosing an input from power-up AND during another activity? For instance, if everything was OFF and you chose Watch Movie, and you had to choose AV4/C as your input, your macro works? I can KIND of get it to work switching between TV & movie, but powering up is a nightmare!

10. jom

jom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Harmony macros aren't fixed like the ones on cheaper remotes. It remembers the state of your equipment and doesn't try to switch stuff on if its already powered up. Of course, this means you have to use the Harmony for everything to avoid it (and you) getting confused! So in your case, assuming we start with everything off, if you pressed 'watch TV' it would switch the TV on and go to AV1. If you then press 'watch movie it will leave the TV on and go to AV4, and switch on the DVD player (and open the tray too if you like).

11. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I kind of agree, only because it's easier to press 'Watch TV' when everything is OFF. However getting the thing from OFF to 'Watch DVD' is another matter because of the delay in powering up and scanning through the inputs. I'm sure there is something Logitech can do to get around this problem with Plasma's and multiple inputs. And before anyone says you can't test EVERY piece of kit out there, that is EXACTLY what I expect them to do!