1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harmony and Surround Sound Amps

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by gsxr750steve, Apr 6, 2005.

1. gsxr750steve

gsxr750steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I need a Universal, and reading here the Harmony seems to be the one....

However, I only want to buy it if it will do the job I want it for. Can you help?

I have plenty of kit that needs controlling, but have all the remotes except one - so I'm assuming that even if my components aren't in their database the Harmony can learn all the commands I need.

But what about the one component I don't have the remote for?

It is a Yamaha RX-V800RDS Surround Sound Receiver. Does anyone know if this amp is supported as standard?

Now, from Yamaha I did get a full list of what I think are called the Discrete Codes - four digit Hex numbers for each command. Can I use these if the Amp isn't one of the known ones to Harmony? Can you program these directly into Harmony?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ta

2. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Just bought a 2nd hand one & can only descirbe the support as fantastic. (Still a minor couple of glitches to iron out) However from my experience so far I doubt there's anything they cant do (control) & no end of help to get them to do it. However you may need the help, as the web site just doesn't quite hit the spot. They are a complicated bit of kit, thus take a little setting up, but once completed you probably wont look twice at it as it's so easy to use. Yamaha are supported by them, so I think you would be ok. I'd give the remote 10 out of 10, the support 10/10, the web site only 6/10, but with familiarity, it's getting more perspicuous now

3. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Steve, if you go to the website (www.harmonyremote.com) you can setup a user account and have a play with a virtual remote which you can setup using your equipment.

hope that helps.

Gary

4. Typical Janner

Typical Janner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it is in their database.

In fact, I am just in the process of setting up my new 655 to operate the very same amp :D

5. gsxr750steve

gsxr750steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone.

Typical Janner - can you post back and let me know if you are successful with it?

Great amp isn't it!!

Cheers.

Steve

6. Typical Janner

Typical Janner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still fine tuning the remote, but it looks like it will work the amp just fine (the amp is connected to a Sky box, a Tivo, and a DVD player).

As others have stated before, the 655 takes quite some time to setup exactly as you want (initially it wasn't turning the amp on/off when using activities, but that is now sorted). However, the PC based configuration really is the dog's dangly bits :cool:

Had mine about 4 years now. Have it feeding a set of Kef eggs. Sound is great, and it does everything that I currently want. Certainly can't see any good reason to be 'upgrading' just yet.