harmony and activities using both TV and amp sound?

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Hi

I have a harmony 525 gathering dust as I'm just not liking its rubbery buttons, and TBH I always drift back to using just the skyHD remote as it can still turn the telly on and switch inputs if necessary using the help button.

But I'm tempted to try again if possible and maybe buy the one.

However (and I had this problem before with my old pronto), how do people have activities where they want to watch TV just with the TV volume (eg daytime viewing etc), and TV with the amp (for movies or evening viewing)?

Do you honestly use the amp for everything, even the odd bit of 'escape to the country' during the day?

also my amp is hidden in a cupboard so i'd have to fiddle with repeaters (when I'm watching a movie I just open the door at the moment, as the only repeater I have is a 9V battery powered thing that needs me to zap it from close range to wake it u...)

or do some of you still use a sky remote for basic viewing, and a harmony for other stuff?

dilfred

I don't have the same harmony as you, but with my harmony 1 I have the following 2 activities

Watch TV. just turns on TV and uses as normal remote.

Watch TV with Amp sound. Turns on both, sets them up, mutes the TV (physically turns off speakers as pressing mute button leaves symbol up) sets remote to change volume of amp and rest is about the same as above really.

you mention movies/evening viewing etc. also

I also have the following activities
Watch DVD. This is effectively the same as watch tv with amp sound, but also turns on my dvd player and correctly selects the sources etc. for that. Then sets the remote with dvd orientated buttons instead of tv orientated ones.

Hope that helps a little.

dar2005

Do you honestly use the amp for everything, ...even the odd bit of 'escape to the country' during the day?

Yes, I don't have tv speakers and use the Amp for everthing,... although not escape to the country:)

sandancer

Standard Member
I have the harmony 885 with the same sort of setup,what you need to do is to set up your two separate ativities :-

1) watch tv

2) tv surround

the software will walk you through the installation of the various options

Bachstrad

I now use the amp for everything too on my 'Watch Sky HD' activity! I have a 'Night' setting on my amp which is set up as a sequence in 'Watch Sky HD'

I only use the TV speakers for 'Watch Freeview', which only happens in dire emergencies, such as when I'm recording two programs at the same time and need to watch something else on BBC or ITV.

ATB

Max

stuart1976

Just set up two Watch TV Activities.

I have a Watch TV activity set up that uses just the Sky+ box and TV and a Watch TV 2 activity that uses the amp.

The Sky+ box is connected to the TV by Scart for the Watch TV activity, video and audio from the TV, and to my 875 by S-video for picture and optical for audio for the Watch TV 2 activity so no sound goes to my TV.

Last edited:

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
Before getting my Harmony I would only use the amp speakers on special occasions simply because I couldn't be bothered to drive two or three remotes just to watch the news over breakfast. But now my Harmony offers TV, Sky and Amp control via a single button, why the hell wouldn't I use the amp for everything..? I don't have any activities involving TV speakers.

Just setup two activities as mentioned. The TV activity will even turn the amp off as well. But.. yeah I use the amp for everything.

clockworks

I always use my amp - have done this for 25 years, ever since I bought a separate stereo TV tuner. Originally used a stereo amp, but switched to prologic about 20 years ago.

Even my kitchen TV is connected to a stereo amp - can't stand tinny TV speakers.

logiciel

My TV speakers turned off permanently. All audio through two alternative amplifier and speaker systems, each with its own Activities.

madfiddler

I've done things a bit different so far
My amp is down the other end of the room to it tv and sky box and it's not really practical now to put in an Ir repeater

... So I have a watch tv activity that uses tv speakers only, then a "surround sound" activity that switches my amp on to the right input but leaves my other devices on. I toyed with the idea of putting a delay between tv mute and amp on commands, so I would have time to point the remote in a different direction, but it seems easier to me to hit mute, then my "surround sound" activity

Maybe this will change as I play around with the remote more since I've not had it long, but this is what I am doing at the moment

Last edited:
I've done things a bit different so far
My amp is down the other end of the room to it tv and sky box and it's not really practical now to put in an Ir repeater

... So I have a watch tv activity that uses tv speakers only, then a "surround sound" activity that switches my amp on to the right input but leaves my other devices on. I toyed with the idea of putting a delay between tv mute and amp on commands, so I would have time to point the remote in a different direction, but it seems easier to me to hit mute, then my "surround sound" activity

Maybe this will change as I play around with the remote more since I've not had it long, but this is what I am doing at the moment

I was actually wondering if my 525 sends a signal through the front of the remote, and the back of the remote at the same time, because sometimes I don't want to send a signal, and I turn my remote around to face backwards, and it still works! I have to cover it with my hand to stop a signal from being sent. There is a little window on the back of the remote, so maybe it does send two signals? As you can imagine, this would actually help your situation.

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
I think IR signals will bounce off walls and things. When I don't want the message to get to the equipment pointing it away doesn't always work and the signal gets through (because I reckon it bounces back) but completely covering the front with my finger successfully blocks it. The window on the back is a sensor rather than transmitter (I reckon).

logiciel

Yes, there's only one emitter, and reflections explain the effect.

Jaunty

Before getting my Harmony I would only use the amp speakers on special occasions simply because I couldn't be bothered to drive two or three remotes just to watch the news over breakfast. But now my Harmony offers TV, Sky and Amp control via a single button, why the hell wouldn't I use the amp for everything..? I don't have any activities involving TV speakers.

We never use the TV speakers either

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
thanks for the input. I can try two activities initially.

how about getting amp to work? whats the cheapest reliable repeater? I saw some maybe from keene (can't remember) that were lovely discreet things - about the size of a 10p and were flush mountable, but they seemed very expensive.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom