Harmony 895 IR emitters - need to stick to devices?

Colgate7110

Established Member
Reaction score
Quick question folks - I'm looking at replacing my damaged 885 (cracked LCD!) with an 895 since I've been very happy with my 885 and the 895 adds the IR sender functionality we're going to need when our new closed-door cabinets arrive later this week. I've read through a good number of 895 threads but can't seem to find a definitive answer to this one...

I understand you can control some kit in one cabinet with the IR blaster itself assuming it can bounce the signal with enough success to hit the IR receiver on the device. I also understand that when that doesn't work you can use one of the 4 extenders/8 emitters included with the 895 to send the signal to another part of the cabinet or another cabinet etc.

However, do I actually have to stick the emitters onto each device's IR receiver or could I tape it to the inside of the cabinet door directly opposite the device's IR receiver using some double sided tape? I'm maybe just being fussy but I'd rather not tape anything to the front of my kit! :)

Thanks in advance,

Colin

or could I tape it to the inside of the cabinet door directly opposite the device's IR receiver using some double sided tape?

Colin

Hi, yes you can tape the emmitter where ever you want and, in your case I would say that it is almost certain that taped to the cabinet door all will work well.

Even better perhaps, it is even more likely that you will not need to even use the emitters at all.

By the way, the emitter come with double sided sticky pads on so, you should'nt need to buy any tape yourself.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

The 2 cabinet carcasses (a Just Racks JRS81 and a JRS120) are actually partitioned into smaller cabinets with 2 in each carcass so I think I'll need to use emitters in 3 of them at least. The good news is they come free with the remote and you've just told me I don't have to tape them to my kit so I'll get one ordered up right away then :smashin:

BTW, your signature sent me off to look at the ProntoPro - I like the look of it but don't think my better half would entertain it anytime soon ;)

Cheers,

Colin

Hi, yes the pronto is a great remote.

However, so is the 895. There are a lot of other things that you can with it as well. e.g.

X-10 control
Z-Wave

I have used my 895 for both X10 and Z-Wave for lighting control e.g lamps and such.

With a simply IR received (apporx £30) and small enough to go behind your cabinet you would be able to control lamps / appliances all over the house.

I found these really usefull for power saving on my sub and "Discrete control - Without line of site for TV's.

Like I say, the 895 is really great control with plenty of additonal benefits other than simply turning on / off AV equipment and, the residual value (shold you ever wish to sell) is excellant as well.

Mark

Finally, in the u nlike event you ever need to increase the no of IR outputs from 4, you can simply by a 3.5mm 1 x 2 adaptor (apporx £2.80 each from B & Q). Thuse you could have 8 IR outputs

Mark

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom